Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 8x10 Camera Musing

Re: 8x10 Camera Musing

You can google "Frica 810cc",it's a Chinese brand camera with fixed rear standard,geared focusing,bellows up to 393mm,all metal,using Technika board,weights only 3.5kg.I replaced my Intrepid MK2 with it and I think it worths the price(around USD1200).

Thanks for that. It looks decent, like a lower-cost Canham with more front rise.
    Having owned a Canham before, I like them, but they're no longer what I'm looking for.
    And if it isn't like a Canham, the Linhof board option is a deal-breaker for me.
    Wish I'd seen this 10 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by pipitra View Post
    You can google "Frica 810cc",it's a Chinese brand camera with fixed rear standard,geared focusing,bellows up to 393mm,all metal,using Technika board,weights only 3.5kg.I replaced my Intrepid MK2 with it and I think it worths the price(around USD1200).
    How did you go about ordering it? For my purposes it looks pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    How did you go about ordering it? For my purposes it looks pretty good.
    I use Taobao which is a Chinese shipping website.If you are not in asia it may be hard for you to place the order.Seems they don't have ebay store.

Arca-Swiss

Ari,
    The 8x10 Arca-Swiss can easily handle quite heavy lenses. I know users using the 360mm Apo-Sironar-S (1560gm/3.5 lbs) and others with some older larger portrait lenses. The screen on the Arca-Swiss is also very easy to focus on and very efficient and precise. Plus quite light.
    Rod Klukas
    US Representative
    Arca-Swiss USA
    480-755-3364
    www.arca-swiss-usa.com

Thanks for answering, Rod, and good to hear from you.
    Which version camera are you referring to? Mteric or Misura, or is it so across the board?

I thought that I would post some additional images of my old-style 8x10 Arca Swiss, which appears to be similar the the newer Misura 8x10's. (And the Arca 11x14's?)

The first image shows the camera with the extension that I customized. Those familiar with these older cameras know that the bellows frames will not fit onto the front of a format frame. So to make this extension, I asked our local metal sculptor to hollow out a standard Arca lensboard, thereby converting it to a frame. Then, I had this frame mounted onto the rear of the bellows. I can easily get 800mm extension with this attachment.

The second image shows the base in detail. This appears to me to be similar to Misura construction. This base offers no movements, only focus. So, the 8x10 format frame is rock-solid on the rail. This rear standard does have the one movement (in addition to focus) that's needed on a rear standard, which is rear rise. I don't know how often this particular Arca Swiss conversion kit comes up, say on EBay?

I've also seen "A" (axis tilt), older style Arca 8x10 cameras that have swing on the rear standard. (And, focus and rise.) Not as rock solid I think as the version shown in the images; but, I would think sufficiently stable. (?) I might have a stability concern with a rear 8x10, older style rear that had base tilt. I'm not sure actually how stable that would be?

The third image shows that front of the camera without the extension. The front standard (and that of the extension) is interesting, because I believe that they're an intermediate Arca offering that has characteristics of both the newer Classic F cameras and the oldy-style Oashwald era cameras. (That was my reason for purchasing them.)

The last image shows a closer view of the function carriers knob that locks the format frame into place. While the mechanism on the regular Classic F function carriers are slick and perhaps quicker to use, the knob approach seems like ti would be more stable to me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rear.jpg   Base.jpg   Front.jpg   Movements.jpg  

Looks very solid, Neil, thanks for posting these photos.
    Is it a little heavier because of the extra standard, but not by much, I bet.
    Interesting too that you have more rear rise than a Misura, and a little less from rise.
    I'd happily get something like that as it would cost less and do pretty much what I would need.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Looks very solid, Neil, thanks for posting these photos.
    Is it a little heavier because of the extra standard, but not by much, I bet.
    Interesting too that you have more rear rise than a Misura, and a little less from rise.
    I'd happily get something like that as it would cost less and do pretty much what I would need.
    The extension weighs 2.75 lbs. The camera without extension weighs 13 lbs. My primary concern in camera weight, is the weight on the tripod. All my accessories stay in a rather nice cart that I made. I bought (new) the rise extender (3 inches?) that Arca sells for about $350. (By Arca standards, that's pretty reasonable.) With this extender, there's plenty of rise for my purposes. Depending on the transaction, it would cost substantially less I think.