Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 8x10 Camera Musing

8x10 Camera Musing

Hey everyone,
    Currently using a Kodak 2D 8x10, and it's gotten a lot of respect here because it's sturdy and does the job without advertising it.
    Being a wood camera, it lacks any real precision, but it's been great for regular 8x10 work, and now that I've started shooting wet plate, I respect it even more.
    One thing I can't really do with the 2D is architectural stuff, which is a hobby of mine within my regular work of shooting portraits.

My ideal camera is the Arca Swiss Misura 8x10. It has the right amount of portability and easy modularity, not to mention a high degree of precision, that I like.
    It would be a great architectural camera, but I'm not sure how much weight the front standard will support.
    And I have not tried it or used it before, in case anyone was wondering. This is speculative right now.

I'm looking for a precision 8x10 for hobby architectural work, and more serious portrait work, with generous helpings of wet plate work as that advances.
    I've considered getting a Toyo 810M again, but it always felt much heavier than its advertised 14-15 pounds.

I'm not worried about getting the camera stained with silver, it'd be a lifetime investment if I did get an Arca.
    I guess I'm just wondering if this camera checks all the boxes for me, or if there may be other camera that can be as versatile, maybe at a lower price.

Just thinking out loud here, feel free to add your $0.02 or ignore my post entirely.
    Thanks!

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Re: 8x10 Camera Musing

The most important movement for architecture is front rise/fall, but everyone has their own style of using movements. Monorails generally have the most all-around movements and probably have the most technical "precision".

But the Burk & James Commercial View has lots of every movement there is, locks down pretty tight (at least tighter than the 2D), and very importantly, takes the same size lensboard as the 2D. That's what I'd look at.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Saw one, Mark, and at a good price, too. But I hemmed and hawed and missed out on it.
    That would be a very good camera for many things.
    I've owned one before, but returned it because it was, well, imprecise and set-up was a matter of levelling everything for 10 mites before I could frame a shot.

Hi Ari

Really pleased for you that you're getting into the 'Wet Plate stuff'...........

What you've mentioned is 'a quandary' in that and as I see it there are the:-

(1) Monorails with all of the weight that come with it and I include your old Toyo as part of that;

(2) 'Rochester made/designed' (for want of a better expression) 2D's, Conley's, Seneca's, Gundlach's etc etc; and

(3) the Chamonix/Shen Hao's etc

I love the look and feel of those under (2) but the range of movements isn't enough for me; I really like the Chamonix's but for all of the weight and lack of portability that goes with it, I'd go for those under (1). I have the cousin of the Toyo M, the Toyo G, weighs like the proverbial 'boat anchor' but on the occasions when I get it all set up, it 'gives off some very reassuring vibes' if that doesn't sound very odd to some. Probably like you, I've owned a fair few Cameras in every format, the stage that I'm in in deciding on any new Camera would also be (a) the size of the lens board (far more important an issue than some may realise); (b) the ability to handle (if necessary) the odd heavy lens; and (c) all or as many of the movements that are feasible...................

Which results in me (if I were to now be looking) ending any search at either a Toyo or Sinar Monorail

good luck and best regards

Andrew

Architecturally you can not beat the sinar p in any format.

KMV? Bulletproof cameras.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, guys.

Andrew, I've owned the 810G as well, hard to carry around, but it's such an awesome camera.
    It would be a great candidate but for the difficulty in carting it around. I think if I went back to Toyo, I'd rather have the M, it can handle big lenses and uses 6x6 boards.
    I love Chamonix cameras, worth their price because of Hugo's great service and a solid build, but if I get rid of the 2D, I'll be off wood for good.

APF, Sinar are the one camera I've never gotten along with, and the reasons are murky.
    I learned on one back in 1992, it was the first camera I ever shot, but I can't stand 'em.
    Good studio cameras, and actually not that heavy, lighter in fact than a comparable Toyo G camera.

Dan, the KMV: been there done that. Hate the lens boards and the pliable aluminum.
    I like the extension and clamshell build, though.

All of these cameras would be very good for both architecture and wet plate, but I'm afraid I've already discounted them as possible candidates.
    On Monday I'm going to call Arca and ask how much weight their front standard can accept.
    That way I can rule out the Arca and get it out of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Thanks, guys.

Andrew, I've owned the 810G as well, hard to carry around, but it's such an awesome camera.
    It would be a great candidate but for the difficulty in carting it around. I think if I went back to Toyo, I'd rather have the M, it can handle big lenses and uses 6x6 boards.
    I love Chamonix cameras, worth their price because of Hugo's great service and a solid build, but if I get rid of the 2D, I'll be off wood for good.

APF, Sinar are the one camera I've never gotten along with, and the reasons are murky.
    I learned on one back in 1992, it was the first camera I ever shot, but I can't stand 'em.
    Good studio cameras, and actually not that heavy, lighter in fact than a comparable Toyo G camera.

Dan, the KMV: been there done that. Hate the lens boards and the pliable aluminum.
    I like the extension and clamshell build, though.

All of these cameras would be very good for both architecture and wet plate, but I'm afraid I've already discounted them as possible candidates.
    On Monday I'm going to call Arca and ask how much weight their front standard can accept.
    That way I can rule out the Arca and get it out of my head.

My friend Andy Pigg used my camera to take measurements and built this awesome 3D printed KMV to Sinar board adapter. Hell of a lot cheaper than a Grimes job and it works like a charm. Folds with the camera too, a cherry on top.

I’m a happy fellow with his work and it’s cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about this for architecture? http://walkercameras.com/XL_8x10.html

Keep your 2D for longer lens work, if needed.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I've been an architectural photographer all my professional life. I still do it occasionally when I find an interesting building and can get access.

For architectural work, a monorail camera with a bag bellows is the way to go: Sinar P/P2, Toyo, Sinar Norma or Linhof Master TL. I've tried field cameras - Linhof Super Technika V & Master Technika, Toyo 45AR, Wista 45D/SP/VX/RF and Cambo WideDS. The Super Technika V with 3 lenses was my first LF camera. I bought it after seeing the ads in the Photo-Technik magazine and I thought I wouldn't need anything else. I cannot begin to describe the immense frustration I had working with this camera for architecture and interiors. Within a year I bought a Sinar F2 and everything became much easier. I still have the F2 and added P2 standards some years ago.

Field cameras are wonderful tools for many reasons, and I sell 10 times more field cameras than monorails. But for studio and architecture, a monorail is the easiest way to get the image. You can carry a monorail camera on a short rail, and it becomes not much larger than a field camera. Yes, there are more steps to set up the camera, but while actually composing the image and making adjustments, monorails are better than field cameras.

Kumar