Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone recommend any backpacks/suitcases to transport my LF camera/lenses/gear?

Can anyone recommend any backpacks/suitcases to transport my LF camera/lenses/gear?

Hi all,

I'm currently transporting my Linhof Technikardan 45, 5 lenses, a loupe, wide-angel bellows, a light meter, a dark cloth, two medium format panoramic backs (6x12, 6x17), and cleaning accessories in my bulky and extremely heavy HPRC 2700W hard case, and it's time to replace this beast. I originally got this insane case to further protect my camera set, but it has become a painful burden. The whole set with the case weighs over 50lbs and it's breaking my back, making me eschew my going out and photographing. The HPRC 2700 case alone weighs 20lbs. Here are some pictures of my current setup so you can better understand my (literal) pain:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4657.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	205658 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4655.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	205659 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4656.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	118.1 KB 
ID:	205660

I'd like to replace this case with perhaps a backpack or another case that's a little more comfortable, lighter, and easier to maneuver. Since this HPRC case already had a perforated foam cube that I shaped to fit all of my gear, maybe I could just get a standard (and much lighter) airport luggage/suitcase with a similar inner dimensions (21.8" x 18" x 10.1" / 55.4 x 45.7 x 25.6cm) and put said perforated foam cube inside that to save a couple pounds?

I'd love to hear your suggestions and recommendations.

Re: Can anyone recommend any backpacks/suitcases to transport my LF camera/lenses/gea

I don't think it is that big on the inside, but I use the f.64 BPX extra large backpack. The main compartment is 13x13x6" and the secondary one is 8x13x6. The dividers in both compartments can be removed making it the most customizable backpack I've come across (and one of the only ones that can fit an 8x10).

Re: Can anyone recommend any backpacks/suitcases to transport my LF camera/lenses/gea

Atlas backpacks and others discussed here. https://www.largeformatphotography.i...kPacks-for-4x5. - can be found here: https://atlaspacks.com/pages/learn-a...adventure-pack
    But packs this large are usually in the 5-6lb range so may not be less than your case, but will have shoulder straps and waist belt to make it easier to carry - if you can lift it.

Mine: All this plus a 6x9film back and have added a 200SF lens in the empty slot. Moved the holders to the bottom and the glass to the middle.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan View Post
    I don't think it is that big on the inside, but I use the f.64 BPX extra large backpack. The main compartment is 13x13x6" and the secondary one is 8x13x6. The dividers in both compartments can be removed making it the most customizable backpack I've come across (and one of the only ones that can fit an 8x10).
    Yeah, I've recently been looking at the f.64 BPX. How do you like it?

So far, I'm seriously considering either the f.64 BPX or the Neewer 2-in-1 Rolling Camera Backpack Trolley Case.

If I get the f.64 BPX, I wonder if I'm going to miss the wheels...

The Neewer 2-in-1 has wheels, but may just unnecessarily weigh the whole thing down.

f.64 BPX

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 10.02.46 PM.png 
Views:	16 
Size:	136.7 KB 
ID:	205671 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 10.03.02 PM.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	192.8 KB 
ID:	205672

Neewer 2-in-1 Rolling Camera Backpack Trolley Case

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 10.03.28 PM.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	142.6 KB 
ID:	205673 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 10.04.43 PM.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	123.6 KB 
ID:	205674

Another vote for the f64 BPX.

I've tried a few difference cases and keep coming back to the f64. As has been said, it's literally one large compartment which can be adjusted to suit the particular equipment you're carrying.

The one difference i have from the standard is to use fishing reel soft cases to hold two lenses each, so protecting them a bit more.

One thing i don't like is having to put the bag down with the harness side on the ground and you have to be careful not to pick up ticks etc when you lift it up again. If it could open from the harness side, then it'd be perfect.....at least for me.

Mike

I don't and won't back pack

I use Gator Mixer cases, immense variety

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...equipment.html
    Tin Can

When I did my comparison I took note of some differences between the F64 and the Atlas packs. Both are good but you may want to consider:
    The F64 is always full size even if you do not fill it. The Atlas packs are shrinkable or expandable.
    The F64 utilizes exterior add-ons to accommodate more stuff, while the atlas can expand somewhat but does not really support addon Molle components.
    The F64 opens from the front (straps down), where as Atlas opens from the back so your shoulder straps are not laying in mud.
    Atlas harness system is adjustable in height and has the tensioners at the top to adjust the gap. I can not tell if the F64 has similar adjustments.
    Both have removable belts for traveling. Belt on the Atlas is very wide and supportive.
    Where to put the tripod? F64 takes an addon accessory, Atlas has a cargo accessory but it can fit in front pocket or side pockets.
    I can attest the Atlas is somewhat water proof for at least a short tumble in a creek.
    Lastly - Enthusiasm of users. 8x10 and Drone users will be happy with F64. digital SLR to 4x5 users can use either. If you watch the YouTube reviews of both systems, the Atlas folks are much more dynamic and really seem to love their packs vs F64 users merely display its features.

You can also take Tin Can's approach and find a nice lightweight top loader and just pull out your Gator Cases in the field.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

I use this: https://fstopgear.com/products/icu/pro-icu-large to carry my Arca-Swiss 4x5, 5 lenses, and a few misc items. When I need to carry it longer distances, I toss it into a photobackpacker Kelty frame along with any other items I may need.

Can anyone recommend any backpacks/suitcases to transport my LF camera/lenses/gear?

Definitely the f-stop ICU is probably the most flexible route, which can be incorporated into many (including non-F-Stop) hiking backpacks of as many litters as you need to fit the additional items you need. You can bring your ICU to REI or equivalent and check the bag you like best.

Hi, Linhof recommends König Fotorucksack 2. So do I. It is really good. Especially if you want to take the panoramic backs with you.

I made some good experiences with the Lowepro 500 Powder. But I think the panoramic backs will not fit in the photo compartment.

I recommend taking the gear into the store and figuring it out.

Quote Originally Posted by manfrominternet View Post
    Hi all,

I'm currently transporting my Linhof Technikardan 45, 5 lenses, a loupe, wide-angel bellows, a light meter, a dark cloth, two medium format panoramic backs (6x12, 6x17), and cleaning accessories in my bulky and extremely heavy HPRC 2700W hard case, and it's time to replace this beast. I originally got this insane case to further protect my camera set, but it has become a painful burden. The whole set with the case weighs over 50lbs and it's breaking my back, making me eschew my going out and photographing. The HPRC 2700 case alone weighs 20lbs. Here are some pictures of my current setup so you can better understand my (literal) pain:

Name:	IMG_4657.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	205658 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4655.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	205659 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4656.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	118.1 KB 
ID:	205660

I'd like to replace this case with perhaps a backpack or another case that's a little more comfortable, lighter, and easier to maneuver. Since this HPRC case already had a perforated foam cube that I shaped to fit all of my gear, maybe I could just get a standard (and much lighter) airport luggage/suitcase with a similar inner dimensions (21.8" x 18" x 10.1" / 55.4 x 45.7 x 25.6cm) and put said perforated foam cube inside that to save a couple pounds?

I'd love to hear your suggestions and recommendations.