Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: De Vere 5108, negative carrier and timer questions

De Vere 5108, negative carrier and timer questions

Hey guys,

I recently purchased a De Vere 5108 which I'm very excited about getting. However, I have a few questions I need answered before I can start using it. First is about the negative carrier. This enlarger is missing it, so I was thinking I might be able to make one in my wood shop, could anyone send me some images and measurements of it? I also sent an email to De Vere about getting a replacement, but haven't heard anything back, and the enlarger was already a big purchase for me, so I'd rather not spend much more on it. Second question relates to a timer, I don't think the enlarger is coming with one, but I've heard it needs a special cable, is that true? I found the cable on KHB, but at over $150, I'd rather not have to buy it, is there any way to get by without that special cable?

Thanks,
    Ethan

Re: De Vere 5108, negative carrier and timer questions

KHB sells the De Vere #3845 120V Timer Interface cable, which allows the use of various 120V enlarging timers with DeVere enlargers. The price is CA$240.00 or around $175 US. I use one with an RH Analyzer Pro timer, but it will work with just about any 120v timer. Or you can try to find a used De Vere universal timer, which will probably run as much or more. I assume you have a manual dichroic head since you don't need a timer with the Closed Loop head.

The negative carrier is book type; you can make a sandwich with two pieces of glass, or two pieces of stiff cardboard or 4 ply board and glass, cut to make a sandwich with a tape hinge. I've got 3 carriers , two bought at auction in the UK, but finding them is largely a matter of luck. Paid aroung $150 for one and twice that for the other, both without glass. KHB has the glass or Focal Point used to. Not sure if they're still around. Here's what they look like if you want to make one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0057.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	205630Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0058.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	205631

You can check with KHB Photografix in Canada, or Second Hand Darkroom and Oddesey Sales both in the UK to see if they have a used one.

Thanks! Does the glass need to be anti-newton? I’ve heard different opinions on that, but my understanding of the science is that anti Newton glass is only needed for condenser heads, is that correct?

I may have a spare De Vere Universal Timer, if I can find it. No, anti-Newton glass is needed whenever the shininess of the film, whether base or emulsion, is just right with the humidity conditions and pressure on the negative would cause Newton's rings. This can happen with condenser or diffusion enlargers. In the old days, the film base was shiny, whereas the emulsion was less so. As a result, you could get away with the top sheet of the carrier being anti-Newton. With today's shiny emulsion films, many workers use anti_Newton glass for both sheets of glass in a carrier. It's easy to test. Put plain glass in the carrier. Insert film. Project and look for Newton's rings. If there aren't any, then you're good, but they also might pop up in the future.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Do you know where I might be able to get a negative carrier? I searched on KHB, but did not see one for the 8x10, and de Vere hasn’t replied to any of my emails

I'm afraid not. I have two 504 carriers, but I don't have a 5108. I used to, though. Think two sheets of 1/8" thick aluminum, hinged on one end, with space for metal inserts or class plates.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Hmm, I'm thinking since I may not be able to get a De Vere carrier soon, I may skip the glass and try to make something like this, have any of you tried this type of carrier?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spring carrier.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	205656

A friend of mine spent a lot of time having a custom spring-loaded negative carrier made. In the end, he went back to using glass. It doesn't involve punching holes, it keeps the negative flatter, and it doesn't act as a trampoline. The downside is that you should keep the glass scrupulously clean.

Not sure if this helps but it's only £35

https://www.secondhanddarkroom.co.uk...ranstab-units/

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Hudson View Post
    Not sure if this helps but it's only £35

https://www.secondhanddarkroom.co.uk...ranstab-units/
    Thanks, it looks like thats for an RH designs timer, which is cheaper than the De Vere one if I need to purchase a new timer. I wonder if that cord could be re soldered to a standard US 3 prong for a normal timer as well