Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: De Vere 5108, negative carrier and timer questions

Re: De Vere 5108, negative carrier and timer questions

Thank you for the update!

hey guys,
    I'm jumping in this thread with a question about timers.

I’m using the De Vere universal timer since I own the 5108 and now it's time to replace it.

My question is:
    What is watts or amp compatibility I should look for?
    I mean we know that the enlarger runs 4x300w lamps but I’ve been reading of people working with the RH designs analyser pro which reading the specs supports up to 750w load.
    What am I missing here?

Hello,

I believe you do not need huge wattage as original DeVere timer switches some relay or something similar in power source electronics which then switches the electricity to lightsource. You need special cable which has one EIC male and one EIC male plug on one side - which you put into RH Design timer and on a second end typical round plug - which you put into power souce for an enlarger. Difference is that you do not use clock for interupting the power source into enlarger lightsource but you only turn the power source output on and off - So in a short answer: any RH design timer can bu used whenb you get the special cable as well (the do not have it on a web but should be still available - price is around 20 pounds, or you gan make your own...)

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by ivanopag View Post
    hey guys,
    I'm jumping in this thread with a question about timers.

I’m using the De Vere universal timer since I own the 5108 and now it's time to replace it.

My question is:
    What is watts or amp compatibility I should look for?
    I mean we know that the enlarger runs 4x300w lamps but I’ve been reading of people working with the RH designs analyser pro which reading the specs supports up to 750w load.
    What am I missing here?
    The way the DeVere enlarger connects to a timer, even though the head is using 1200 watts, the timer isn't dealing with anywhere close to that. The timer just acts as a controller for a relay inside the DeVere control box, which is what deals with most of the power. The upside of this is that pretty much any timer can be used. The downside is that you need a somewhat special cable to connect your timer to the enlarger. If you go with an RH Designs timer, they make a cable for connecting their timers. If you go with a different timer, the easiest thing to do is to make the cable yourself. All you need is a short 3 prong extension cable and the plug to attach the timer to the DeVere control box. It only took me 5-10 minutes to make the cord once I had that, and the only tool needed was a wire stripper since the plug you add to the cable uses screw terminals. I think someone posted a link to that plug in this thread, but if not I can find it for you. I also figured out the wiring diagram for the control box/timer connection, so I can dig that out from wherever I put it and send it your way as well if you make your own cable.

Ok looks like the only thing I need is this:

https://www.secondhanddarkroom.co.uk...ranstab-units/

I thought that was the case but I wanted to double check with other 5108 users if that was the only thing needed, I can order one from the website I guess,
    £36 is not the end of the world is it?
    Thanks a lot for your help!

That should do it, pretty much any timer should work with the adapter cord. I use an RH Analyzer Pro on mine. Good luck! L