Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stearman Press leaking like crazy

Re: Stearman Press leaking like crazy

teflon spray the Oring and wipe it off, or a bit of nose grease works too. I have 6 of these and not one of them leaks. I press down in center of the lid and have caps loose/off so air can escape, then do the squeeze when tightening the caps after filling. I use 475-500ml but I am only doing one sheet so only have one holder in the tank so get some space from that. my only complaint is that the caps break easy if dropped on concrete, but they are a standard size and I have found alternatives, especially from PhotoFormulary plastic bottles.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Quote Originally Posted by neildw View Post
    I have been considering moving over to a patterson tank with the mod54.
    Don't know, but I have no trust in the Stearman at this point no more and my images are to valuable to loose to such a problem.
    How many images have you lost due to this problem? Most people find that this tank leaks a little, but their negatives come out fine.

After the fill and squeeze, the cap must seal perfect. if air leaks in the cap that will cause leaks. The bigger the air volume above the film the more effectively you will be able to create a vacuum. If the temperature of the tank (and trapped air ) increases after sealing pressure increase will cause leaking.

PV=nRT, I love middle school physics. 1 st thing I would try is a tiny bit of o-ring lube and using a minimum volume of solution, squeeze good and tighten the cap. Make sure the cap is air tight.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherMarv View Post
    How many images have you lost due to this problem? Most people find that this tank leaks a little, but their negatives come out fine.
    None, but I rather not wait until I loose one. Each image counts.
    But as you know, chems are expensive too, and not the best (nature-wise) so I rather not spill too much.