Thread: repair or replace Calumet Elite 2400 pack

Scott Davis

repair or replace Calumet Elite 2400 pack

I have a Calumet Elite 2400 power pack. I hadn't used it for a while, so I decided it was time to re-form the capacitors. I had plugged it in to let it charge, planning to every so often trigger it on low power, increasing the power and frequency over time. Well... I had it sitting charging overnight, and it tripped the circuit breaker. When I re-set the circuit breaker and turned it back on, I heard a series of loud pops come out of it, and the circuit breaker tripped again. I would assume that, given what happened, that some if not all the capacitors have blown. Fortunately no foul-smelling green smoke.

Question one - does anyone know of a repair source for this pack?

The last time I had one of these go bad, Calumet was still in business, so the source for getting it serviced was obvious. As this model was already out-of-production for several years, they had to send it to Germany to get it repaired. It was around $500 to get it fixed then. I'm not sure if it's worth repairing, given the circumstances, but if it can be done, I'd like to get a quote on repairing it to help me make the decision.

Question two - if the pack cannot be repaired, should I buy another one of the same, or should I look at transitioning away from the system to something else?

I can get a used Profoto Acute2 2400 pack and a head for around the same money as I can get some more used Calumet Elite gear. I am concerned that given the two Calumet Elite packs I have, one has been repaired already (seems to be working fine), and now the second one needs repair, so would I be investing money in something that is going to cost me a lot more, potentially quite soon. I would be concerned about doing the same with a pre-owned Profoto pack (with the exception that it should still be easy to get repaired). Or would I be better served by saving my pennies and getting something brand new, like the Godox AD1200 pro pack/head? It isn't as powerful, but it offers modern options of TTL for my digital camera and HSS, among other things. But it's going to cost me twice what I would have to spend on a used setup.

Re: repair or replace Calumet Elite 2400 pack

My experiences with strobe repair and Calumet strobes may be outdated, but the Calumet system I used at one studio was re-branded Bowens...not sure if Bowens is around any more. (?). I had my Normans repaired by Robal Co. in L.A. back in the late '90's. There was also Silvino's Pro Flash, and Holly Enterprises.
    Hope this helps.

Scott Davis

Bowens declared bankruptcy a couple years ago. They're completely caput. I'd like to keep on the east coast if possible, as shipping round-trip on something like that could easily end up at 50% of the cost of the repair. But thanks for the suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Davis View Post
    Bowens declared bankruptcy a couple years ago. They're completely caput. I'd like to keep on the east coast if possible, as shipping round-trip on something like that could easily end up at 50% of the cost of the repair. But thanks for the suggestions!
    There is an excellent repair company in DC. Why not ask them? Pro Photo 2000 Pennsylvania Ave NW.

Scott Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    There is an excellent repair company in DC. Why not ask them? Pro Photo 2000 Pennsylvania Ave NW.
    I did - they don't handle high-power strobe repairs any more. They used to send them out to Pro Camera in Charlottesville, but they don't do them any more either. Both suggested I send the pack to Bowens, who is out of business. So it tells you something about how long it's been since they did those repairs that they were unaware that Bowens was gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Davis View Post
    I did - they don't handle high-power strobe repairs any more. They used to send them out to Pro Camera in Charlottesville, but they don't do them any more either. Both suggested I send the pack to Bowens, who is out of business. So it tells you something about how long it's been since they did those repairs that they were unaware that Bowens was gone.
    Try Danielle Service
    https://danielleplr.com/

Scott Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Try Danielle Service
    https://danielleplr.com/
    Thanks. I'll try calling them tomorrow - their email request system on their website doesn't seem to work.