Thread: PYROCAT-MC in GLYCOL user info appreciated.

PYROCAT-MC in GLYCOL user info appreciated.

After months of seeking permission to photograph a pretty much completely abandoned factory complex, it finally was approved last week. I plan on shooting LF and ULF with Ilford FP4+ and HP5+ films. Will be processing with continuous agitation in large JOBO tanks on a Stark SST Film Processor. Final prints Salt, at first, then hopefully Platinum/Palladium once the project is underway. Am finally looking forward to using Photographers' Formulary Pyrocat-MC in Glycol. This is based on the writings of Ellie Young in her book THE SALT PRINT MANUAL. Up to now have been using digital negatives, but now I want to print from the original negatives.

The spec sheet states a working solution of 1(A):1(B):100 parts water. But then it mentions "using a dilution of 3:2:100 or 5:3"100.... when developing negatives for printing with alternative processes."

Would greatly appreciate any tips, advice, and/or experiences

thanks

Re: PYROCAT-MC in GLYCOL user info appreciated.

I had issues with HP5, pyrocat-hd, and alt processes that I use....kallitype and carbon transfer. The only way I could get it to work was to develop it in a high contrast developer such as DK-50. FP4 and pyrocat-hd work very well. I use a 1+1+100 dilution. Now that I use digital negatives more, I'm not fussy and just develop both films in 1+1+100. It sounds like an excellent project you have and an important one so...first you'll have to do a bit of testing...preferably with 4x5 sheets to find what dilution works best for you.

Those increased dilutions rates are to make the developer more active. Back when I printed pt/pd from in-camera negatives, I used Pyrocat-HD at a dilution of 2:2:100 for HP-5+. But, like Andrew, I've produced digital negatives for years now. As he suggests, grab some smaller sheets of the material you plan to use and do some testing at various dilutions to determine what will work for you.

Perhaps read Sandy King’s original papers on Pyrocat-HD.
    https://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/PCat/pcat.html

don't overthink the process. I make and use pyrocat=mc exclusively for large format alternative process negatives..
    I don't do salt but you should try 1:1:100 and 2:2:100 and see which works best for you
    it's really that simple...do your own testing ; then you can come back here and tell everyone because you actually did the homework for your process
    have fun!
    Peter