Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cable release thread

Re: Cable release thread

Did this once to a worn female thread in the block of a VW air cooled engine where the oxygen sensor (if I remember correctly) screwed in: Clean out the inside of the worn threads with a degreasing fluid, and then keep cleaning it many times over with alcohol till it is very, very clean and dry. Get an expendable old shutter release cord with good threads on it. Fill the worn threads with J B WELD. Put a generous coating of Cutting and Tapping fluid on to the threaded end of a shutter release cord. As soon as the J B WELD begins to set, carefully screw in the threaded end. After the J B WELD dries thoroughly (I waited 24 hours back when). Now screw out the threaded end of the shutter release cord. It worked on my VW engine years ago, and I was able to screw in a new oxygen sensor. Will it work on a worn small shutter release socket? Can't say, but I'd give it a try. May work as a temporary fix.

and the tap set is still sold for $4

I have one or 2

Jim Jones had the answer in 2015

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...=1#post1242791
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Did this once to a worn female thread in the block of a VW air cooled engine where the oxygen sensor (if I remember correctly) screwed in: Clean out the inside of the worn threads with a degreasing fluid, and then keep cleaning it many times over with alcohol till it is very, very clean and dry. Get an expendable old shutter release cord with good threads on it. Fill the worn threads with J B WELD. Put a generous coating of Cutting and Tapping fluid on to the threaded end of a shutter release cord. As soon as the J B WELD begins to set, carefully screw in the threaded end. After the J B WELD dries thoroughly (I waited 24 hours back when). Now screw out the threaded end of the shutter release cord. It worked on my VW engine years ago, and I was able to screw in a new oxygen sensor. Will it work on a worn small shutter release socket? Can't say, but I'd give it a try. May work as a temporary fix.
    And hope your cable release doesn’t break.

Drew Wiley

You'll need a little jeweler's screwdriver to remove and replace the threaded piece. Just be careful to put the tiny screws in a small container during the procedure and not to drop them.

Quote Originally Posted by JimboWalker View Post
    What tap size should I use? I think I should try that first. I have a feeling this part is a pain to find in perfect shape.
    Well, if you don't look, you'll never find one.

Since there are numerous people online who are refurbishing copal shutters, it should be nigh trivial to find.

Thinking about it these taps must exist somewhere. After all shutter release buttons on digital and film cameras still have to be tapped for cable releases. And there is the Linhof nipple, 041066, which screws on the tip of the cable release for use with their cable release Quicksocket.

If you go here and scroll down to the last page:
    https://www.rebell-tools.de/pdf/Rebe...017.pdf#page=8
    Towards the bottom is the line:
    "MABO-HSS für Drahtauslöser-Gewinde sind ab Lager lieferbar. Preis auf Anfrage,"

Running this through google translate we get;
    "MABO-HSS for wire release threads are available from stock. Price on request."

"MABO" refers to machine tap, a tap suitable for power tapping as with a tapping head or on a CNC machining center or an automatic screw machine. "HSS" is "high speed steel", the stuff of which metal cutting bits are commonly made.

I recall some time ago on the forum formerly known as apug there was a long discussion about these taps and Rebell-Tools was mentioned. Here my recollection gets hazier but no one ever seemed to actually manage to obtain one of these. Don't know if it was that Rebell didn't sell to the general public, required a large minimum order or what. Probably fair to say that while these taps exist, they are not readily available.

And now I see some of this, such as Rebell-Tools and the difficulty of obtaining these was also covered in 2015 per Randy's post #12.

David
    Last edited by David Lindquist; 4-Jul-2020 at 19:56.

Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    That's a straight thread, not a tapered one.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Should have used blue locktite (not red!) for that flexible extension - because when that extension fails...you just might need to apply a little heat to get it undone! (ask me how I know!)

Best way to keep those thread-blocks from ever stripping is to just get a really good cable release (I like the 20 inch cloth covered ones by Pentax), screw it in firmly, and never remove it! A long(ish) cable release will usually wrap nicely about a lens and loop under itself to secure while stored.

Yes it is

Jim Jones specified it in 2015 and I believe he has very good experience

ymmv

I did buy 2 sets

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    That's a straight thread, not a tapered one.
    Tin Can