Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Cable release thread

Re: Cable release thread

Quote Originally Posted by RichSBV View Post
    Thanks yet again! I searched and found that document and the version 'C'. I then searched for the 'ANSI PH3.107' document it references but could not find a free copy... Ah-well, not worth $25 for me
    Yes I went looking for versions of "ANSI PH3.107" too. At some point it was re-named IT3.107 and was described as "Reaffirmed 1995" and "Not Active". Guessing this is the last iteration of the U.S. standard. It is available for $25 and I ordered a hard copy.

Have a hunch this went "inactive" because there is the current ISO standard which is available here: https://www.iso.org/standard/12247.html
    ISO is after all International Standards Organization and you'll see that this standard was approved by the appropriate US body, (ANSI) so not much sense in the US maintaining what's basically a duplicate standard. Pricier at 38 Swiss francs or about $40.

These standards can seem kind of pricey for what they are physically, just a few pages. Free copies can be hard to find though sometimes the essential information can be gleaned from other sources, like the federal standards cited above. I suppose the cost does help support the organization(s) maintaining the standards. And most of the time rather than being bought by nuts-and-bolts obsessives like myself the purchases are merely a minor part of doing business. I mean if you make cable releases and you want ISO 9000 yada yada certification you probably have to, among other things, be able to produce the appropriate, well, ISO standard.

Drifting quite a bit from the OT. Is this helping Jimbo?

In fact ISO is not an acronym for "International Standards Organization"; it is not an acronym. It does refer to the body whose name is "International Organization for Standardization." See my post #55 below.

David
    Last edited by David Lindquist; 13-Jul-2020 at 12:44. Reason: Correction of incorrect assertion

Thanks again to all you nuts! I just today received my 5-44 taps and correct drill bits to run my test on some aluminum at work tomorrow! I will let you all know how it goes.

Back during my last career, we always had Bosch Spec handbooks laying around

Chock full of all kinds of data, except what we need now, here

Wonder if photography ever had similar

https://www.sae.org/images/books/toc_pdfs/BOSCH10.pdf
    Tin Can

I fully accepts and am quite proud of "nuts"

I don't think we went off topic. After all, the links to the specs will be useful for someone else later on. Although I do have differing opinions on the ANSI and ISO spec sheets. We paid for them through our taxes (for those of us living in the USA anyway). We should have free access to them!

And I lived on the Motorola Linear Data books and various component cross reference books myself. I may even still have a couple left laying around here someplace?

Quote Originally Posted by RichSBV View Post
    I fully accepts and am quite proud of "nuts"

I don't think we went off topic. After all, the links to the specs will be useful for someone else later on. Although I do have differing opinions on the ANSI and ISO spec sheets. We paid for them through our taxes (for those of us living in the USA anyway). We should have free access to them!

And I lived on the Motorola Linear Data books and various component cross reference books myself. I may even still have a couple left laying around here someplace?
    More on the endlessly fascinating subject of standards organizations. Turns out neither the ANSI nor ISO are government bodies. ANSI describes itself as "private not-for-profit". Not a lot of detail on its finances. It says its membership includes "Government agencies"; I expect there's a membership fee so in that sense it's partially supported by our tax dollars.

ISO describes itself as "independent non-governmental .." A bit on its finances near the bottom of the page here: https://www.iso.org/structure.html

Main thing I learned is that "ISO" does not stand for "International Standards Organization" as I incorrectly asserted above. This organization's name in English is "International Organization for Standardization." "ISO" isn't an acronym, it was derived from the Greek "isos" meaning "equal". The thing being an acronym would vary with the organization's name being rendered in each member country's language.

David

Quote Originally Posted by David Lindquist View Post
    More on the endlessly fascinating subject of standards organizations. Turns out neither the ANSI nor ISO are government bodies. ANSI describes itself as "private not-for-profit". Not a lot of detail on its finances. It says its membership includes "Government agencies"; I expect there's a membership fee so in that sense it's partially supported by our tax dollars.

ISO describes itself as "independent non-governmental .." A bit on its finances near the bottom of the page here: https://www.iso.org/structure.html

Main thing I learned is that "ISO" does not stand for "International Standards Organization" as I incorrectly asserted above. This organization's name in English is "International Organization for Standardization." "ISO" isn't an acronym, it was derived from the Greek "isos" meaning "equal". The thing being an acronym would vary with the organization's name being rendered in each member country's language.

David
    Many, many years ago, in the early 70s I represented Rollei on the ANSI committee that was to write the standards for synch cord connectors as Rollei sold thousands of small flash units from the E15b to the E36RE plus their E250, E1500 and E5000 studio flash units.
    All manufacturers were there, including Honeywell that Rollei purchased 2 years later, Ascor, Norman, Vivitar, Speedatron, etc..
    Between us, meeting weekly for several months, no consensus was reached, We wanted to keep the locking PC tip on cords for our flash and cameras, most of the studio strobe manufacturers wanted to keep their 2 prong connector that could, and has, be accidentally plugged into a 120V household outlet.
    In the end no consensus was established but lots of papers justifying each company’s position were submitted and read.
    Membership in that committee was expensive but I can’t remember how much as I didn’t have to write the check!

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

ANSI, ISO, and many others like SAE, IEEE, etc are known as “non-governmental standards development organization” (SDO). Their activities are a coalition of the willing, with the standard development either getting funded by whoever the committee member works or on a volunteer basis. As Bob mentioned, often there are membership fees required so you can “volunteer”. The SDO generally provides facilitation and editorial support, but often not much more than that. Each SDO has a not-for-profit organization, charter, staff, etc. all that gets paid for by seminars/conferences they sponsor and the sale of standards. If you think a standard is expensive...check out conference prices!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    ANSI, ISO, and many others like SAE, IEEE, etc are known as “non-governmental standards development organization” (SDO). Their activities are a coalition of the willing, with the standard development either getting funded by whoever the committee member works or on a volunteer basis. As Bob mentioned, often there are membership fees required so you can “volunteer”. The SDO generally provides facilitation and editorial support, but often not much more than that. Each SDO has a not-for-profit organization, charter, staff, etc. all that gets paid for by seminars/conferences they sponsor and the sale of standards. If you think a standard is expensive...check out conference prices!
    Bear in mind that each of our meetings were all day in a room at a NYC hotel and the costs for the room, lunches, refreshments were borne by those fees. Transportation, tolls, parking, breakfast and dinners, etc. were borne by the member companies.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Yup. Some operate on more of a shoe-string. But no matter... Involvement in standards development requires a big investment. Each SDO and each standards working group has its own personality.

Interesting David as usual. I never looked into it and made an assumption (we all know what that means). But it was from many years ago in the company I used to work for that did standards for material expansion. I'm old and been many years... Could have been ASTM or ANSI or whatever? As far as I know, the government was involved and paid the bills. So that's where I got the thought from... They also did the tests on the moon dust but that was far from exciting... The nuclear stuff was much more fun

Quote Originally Posted by David Lindquist View Post

David