Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: old film

old film

G'Day All
    I recently came across several boxes of old unopened 4x5 film and paper.This was in a studio that was going out of business ,many years ago they went from 4x5 to medium format and this stuff has sat for about 25 years in a store room ,the room was kept at 20 deg (68F) .I am fairly sure the paper might have a cast but am wondering about the film.Is there chance of using it by overexposing it or maybe overdeveloping it? Anyone have any suggestions, the Ilford film has no date but the staff tell me they stopped using 4X5 in about 1990.The paper is Agfa I am not sure what to do with it
    Thanks

Re: old film

Depends a bit on what film and paper it is. I assume for the film it's B&W. You mention Ilford, which makes either FP4 or HP5 the most likely candidates. Not sure if the + variants already existed back in 1990. Either way, if it's 400 speed, it will be ridiculously foggy. You'll get an image for sure, but you will probably have to go down to EI 50 or even 25 to get good results - but YMMV. If it's 125 speed, then it'll likely work OK at something around 25 or 50 as well. So in your place, I'd probably load a sheet, shoot it at 50, develop it normally (for its native speed) and see what comes out.

As to the paper, if it's fiber based, then it might be just fine. I use Agfa FB paper from the same era from time to time and it seems to do perfectly well - no fog etc. If it's RC paper, you might as well toss it.

Yes it is Ilford 125 I will try it at 50 and see what happens and the paper is fiber based so maybe I will get something out of that..The 5 boxes of film and 3 boxes of paper cost me $20.00 so nothing to lose .Thanks for the info that is what aI was looking for ,a starting point
    Michael

You also may find that you need to increase development too. Definitely worth trying it out. I suspect your film will be fine.
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

Hope so

I’m currently shooting a box of Kodak Plus X from about 1990 that was kept at room temperature in Florida. I shoot it at 100 rather than the rated 125 and develop in my regular Pyrocat HD. The film works like new. You may find you don’t have to make much in the way of adjustment.

A few boxes of 11x14, dated 6/88, left in a hot (during the summer) attic, in the mid 1990's after I lost interest in that format. Two years ago I regained interest (sort of) and tried it out with some really old, dark, super-syrupy HC-110...and to my great surprise its - ok...as in, not exactly like new, but useable with a bit of base fog (which is sometimes desirable). At any rate...always worth a try!

I shot a 35mm roll of Kodak Plus-X (also a 125 speed film) that expired in 1958 (!) that came-out just fine. I increased the exposure, but had the lab process it normally. I would definitely give your film a try. As others have said, you may well be pleasantly surprised!

Well Thanks guys ,I am going to try it out today at different asa settings and regular development and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelGJ47 View Post
    Well Thanks guys ,I am going to try it out today at different asa settings and regular development and go from there.
    Just curious what was your result.
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy