Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: old film

Re: old film

Well I just shot the Ilford 125 at 100 and the negs look good I have not yet finished the dark room so I can not print but they look good I took some at 80 ASA of, same subjects, same light but have not yet developed them ,that will be this week sometime.

I acquired a box of Pan x 32 ASA 5x7 sheet film that expired in 1966 and it measured a FB+F of 0.4 to 0.45, not bad for a film that is 54 years out of date. Looking at the negative it is clearly still worthy of making a fine print. An exhibited film curve that continues to the upside unencumbered surely helps. Rule of thumb. Lower ASA rated sheet film is far less susceptible of degradation. I have a lot of Efke 25 in 11x14 (ASA 25) that processes as it was new and it is 10 years old.
    Last edited by Michael Kadillak; 7-Jul-2020 at 19:39. Reason: typo

Arca-Swiss

You should try to find either some liquid Orthazite or some benzotriazol Anti_Fog. On the liquid Orthazite about 1 oz per quart or litter of working development solution. I have used this with success on old film and paper. I was even able to salvage images from a crime scene of a burned body on the floor of a burned building on infrared film with decent contrast some years ago. Benzotriazole Anti-Fog was a Kodak product, but I think you can still obtain the chemistry to make this up. B&H seems to have a 4oz quantity for about $5.00.

Hope this helps.
    Rod Klukas
    US Representative
    Arca-Swiss USA
    480-755-3364
    www.arca-swiss-usa.com

finally got some and look forward to using it
    thanks

I just shot some FP4 (non-plus) in 35mm at 25 ISO and pushed it 1 stop in Rodinal 1+25 - the results look the same as fresh film (to me). This stuff expired some time in the 80s so similar to yours but bigger film formats should have more tolerance to expiry as grain is less noticeable so if anything you should get better results. I still have to shoot a roll of HP5 from the same lot, there I expect to be disappointed.

Talking about it having no date on it - mine didn't either but you can check the wikipedia page to find out when each of the emulsions stopped being made to get a rough idea:

FP: 1935 - 1939
    FP2: 1939 - 1942
    FP3: 1942 - 1968
    FP4: 1968 - 1990
    FP4+: 1990 - present

HP -> HP5+ is similar.

Yes my negs also look good and I will be printing in the darkroom as soon as I can figure a reasonable way to control the water temp going into the sink I am making.

I've managed to get good results from quite old Ilford film: from 1940's. Kodak doesn't age that well in my experience. Newer Agfa papers are probably useless, some of the older might be useful. I've had success with 1970-80's Brovira and Portriga.

Drew Wiley

It's misleading to make generic statements. An awful lot depends on the climate, actual storage conditions, specific product etc.

Perhaps somebody can explain exactly how THEY use this exact product, Photographers' Formulary Benzotriazole (Anti-Fog #1) - 10g

I am shooting very old Dry Plates and this Ilford Special Portrait 5X7

Ilford Special Portrait 1 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

Ilford Special Portrait 2 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can