Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 210mm or 240mm for Portraits?

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: 210mm or 240mm for Portraits?

Quote Originally Posted by JRivito View Post
    Is a 16” (400mm) bellows long enough to use a 300mm?
    I use a Cambo SC-2 with normal bellows and a 12-inch Kodak CE for headshot portraits with no trouble at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Like Brian says, 210 and 240 are pretty close. I also favor the Kodak Commercial Ektar but everyone is different.

Read this!

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...rtrait-lenses/

Also check out the Image Sharing (LF) and Discussion section on this forum. Study the portraits there to see what you like. Many times the lens the photographer used for the portrait is listed. If you find you are interested in certain lenses then type in that lens on Flickr to see more examples.
    Thanks for the suggestion, Alan. Can you tell me more about the Kodak Ektar commercial? Can you find it on eBay? There’s a number of different Kodak Ektar’s. What’s the specific focal length and f-stop?

You should be able to find a 210 Geronar in a modern Copal 1 shutter easily and cheaply. You can also look for a Caltar E which is a Tessar design, again in a modern Copal 1. Don't pay over 2 bills for any of these. You can go from more open to stopped down depending on how sharp you want the image.

Remember that most lenses are better than most photographers!

Good Luck!

Luis

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I use a Cambo SC-2 with normal bellows and a 12-inch Kodak CE for headshot portraits with no trouble at all.
    Are you able to get tight close ups? Is it possible that you can post such a picture? If not, no problem. Thanks for weighing in on the issue and giving me your experience.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by JRivito View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, Alan. Can you tell me more about the Kodak Ektar commercial? Can you find it on eBay? There’s a number of different Kodak Ektar’s. What’s the specific focal length and f-stop?

8 1/2" (216mm) f/6.3

10" (254mm) f/6.3

12" (300mm) f/6.3

14" (356mm) f/6.3

https://www.surpluscameragear.com/ko...free-download/

The Commercial Ektars were the pro lenses. Regular Ektars make great portrait lenses too. I own the 14" Commercial Ektar which is about 356mm. I use it on 8x10 though. The 14" was a favorite of Yousuf Karsh who is one of my favorite portrait photographers.

Yes, you can find both Commercial Ektars and Ektars on eBay. That's where I bought mine.

Drew Wiley

I've used both focal lengths. I wouldn't worry about that minor distinction too much. It's more important to home in on a specific kind of lens. Anything in a big no.3 shutter might be unduly heavy for a lighter weight 4x5. But lightweight 240 lenses in no.1 or no.0 shutter are going to be in a smaller f/9 maximum aperture so a little bit dimmer viewing, or perhaps a bit less wide open working aperture. You also might be concerned with the "look" your lens provides. Late plastmat lenses can be extremely sharp and contrasty, but for that very reason can produce a somewhat harsh look in portraiture, or have somewhat distracting harsh background blur. For that reason, my old Schneider Componon S 210/5.6 in a no.1 shutter gave a nice rendering for portraiture than my newer equivalents. Another nice portrait option would be the little Fuji 210L. If your primary application is something like landscape work, however, the Fuji 250/6.7 is a no.1 shutter lens you might want to look at. There will be plenty of other recommendations from others, related to their own idea of pleasing look in a portrait image. I really prefer separate lenses for that sort of thing than the super-hard-sharp ones I use in landscape work. Being large format, you'll still have lots of real estate on the film for high-quality enlargements without worrying about detail loss.

At one time I owned a Caltar 210mm lens like Louis suggested in post #13. It was a rebadged Rodenstock Geronar. It was a great little lens and even folded up into my Crown Graphic. I've even seen them sell for $100 and less.

Ilex Paragons mentioned earlier are also great portrait lenses. They are also inexpensive.

Like Louis says, most lenses are better than most photographers. Get what you can afford and spend your money on film. That's how you get good!

210's f/5.6s are very widely available in modern and compact Copal 1 shutters. 240 F/5.6 are much bigger lenses in huge Copal 3 shutters. Alternatively, there are 240mm f/9 lenses, such as a G-claron, Fuji A, Doctor Optic.....They are in number 1 shutters, but they let in less than half the light for focusing. Old lenses in old shutters can be great. I have a boat load of them, but their shutters are often cranky, some requiring special cable releases.....When I shoot with one of the old lenses, I have to spend more time making sure everything on the shutter is correct and check that it's operating ok. That's a pain. The more you have to think about those types of things, the more one's attention is pulled away from the aesthetics of the photo. I'd get a Fuji W 210, a Nikkor 210 W, Schneider Symmar S, or, well I forget what the Rodenstock version was. Sironar N? You should be able to get a very nice example in a properly working Copal shutter for under $300, possibly quite a bit under.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    8 1/2" (216mm) f/6.3

10" (254mm) f/6.3

12" (300mm) f/6.3

14" (356mm) f/6.3

https://www.surpluscameragear.com/ko...free-download/

The Commercial Ektars were the pro lenses. Regular Ektars make great portrait lenses too. I own the 14" Commercial Ektar which is about 356mm. I use it on 8x10 though. The 14" was a favorite of Yousuf Karsh who is one of my favorite portrait photographers.

Yes, you can find both Commercial Ektars and Ektars on eBay. That's where I bought mine.
    Karsh is my favorite too. His Hemingway pic is largely responsible for my learning to shoot film.