Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help in ID'ing Japanese 5X7 Wood Camera

Help in ID'ing Japanese 5X7 Wood Camera

I picked up a wood View camera from an estate sale. The camera is 5x7 format, wood, has red bellows, and has no manufacturer's plate on it. The background on the estate owner. He was WWII US Army and had 2 Speed Graphics, so I'm assuming that he was likely an Army photographer. I'm also guessing that he was stationed in Japan post-war where he may have picked up the 5x7. The red bellows should narrow the possibilities, but the last clue is the film holders. They are also wood and don't have the usual dark slides, instead, they have tambour dark slides (think roll-top desks). The dark slides pull to the top and just drape over the back of the camera. They do not come out of the holders completely. I've never seen this on a camera before and hope that this oddity will finally assist in identifying the manufacturer of this camera.

Re: Help in ID'ing Japanese 5X7 Wood Camera

Someone else recently posted about problems they were having with the dark slide on their camera, which they believed was a "Gilles-Faller" model from the 1950's.

Since I'd never heard of that manufacturer, I looked it up, and remember seeing a number of red-bellowed, wood cameras, with roll-top style film holders.

That's my completely random stab in the dark.

Welcome to the forum

Pictures would help

Recently I posted about my Japanese 1/2 plate camera and book style holders
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Welcome to the forum

Pictures would help

Recently I posted about my Japanese 1/2 plate camera and book style holders
    I did check out the pevious posts, but none were similar, especially yours. Mine came with film holders and they fit.

Thanks though.

Pictures would help a lot - is anything on the camera written in Japanese? If so I could probably figure it out.

Mine looks like this

I have both types of slotted holder, plate book style and Matuo DDS film, they fit very well

Japanese 1/2 plate is close to 5X7 but slightly smaller All bought direct from Japan for peanuts, last year

I also live in ILL

Untitled by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Mine looks like this

I have both types of slotted holder, plate book style and Matuo DDS film, they fit very well

Japanese 1/2 plate is close to 5X7 but slightly smaller All bought direct from Japan for peanuts, last year

I also live in ILL

Hi Tin Can,

Nice looking camera, but very different from mine. I used the ball head off that same Bogen tabletop tripod for my modified Bogen 3221. Big enough for an Olympus E-M5II and the lenses that I use. I didn't mean to sound critical of your camera, I got from your post that the film holders weren't an exact fit and that aspect contrasted with mine. Mine are also made of wood with that strange tambour darkslide. I will post photos of the camera as soon as I get a chance. I just found this site and wondered whether my camera would be easy for someone to ID from the odd points in the description. I've had this since the 80's or so and can wait a bit longer to appease my curiosity. I'm out of Naperville, BTW

Without posting some photos of the camera you are asking the near impossible.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

I used to live inside Chicago

Now far downstate

Quote Originally Posted by griffenn View Post
    Hi Tin Can,

Nice looking camera, but very different from mine. I used the ball head off that same Bogen tabletop tripod for my modified Bogen 3221. Big enough for an Olympus E-M5II and the lenses that I use. I didn't mean to sound critical of your camera, I got from your post that the film holders weren't an exact fit and that aspect contrasted with mine. Mine are also made of wood with that strange tambour darkslide. I will post photos of the camera as soon as I get a chance. I just found this site and wondered whether my camera would be easy for someone to ID from the odd points in the description. I've had this since the 80's or so and can wait a bit longer to appease my curiosity. I'm out of Naperville, BTW
    Tin Can

Well, Here are the images of the missing 5x7 Japanese field camera. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8230006.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	207076, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8230003.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	207077, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8230007.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	207078, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8230008.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	207079,
    Does anyone have an idea of who the manufacturer could be? It looks well made based upon the brass inlays in the camera and the film holders. The tambour flaps on the film holders are unusual in my experience.