Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Linhof Ball-Head Mystery...

Re: Linhof Ball-Head Mystery...

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    The Heavy Duty Pro (390R is the code I think) tripod is a huge piece of kit - had the opportunity to A/B a vintage example directly against an old Gitzo aluminium Series 5 tripod a few months ago. Ended up going for the Gitzo as the legs seemed to 'ring' much less than the Linhof (which was beautifully made and terrifyingly heavy - though not sure if the tartan bag it came with was original).
    “Ring” means nothing what would better show vibration is a small shot glass half full of water. Put it on top of the tripod. Strike the leg and see how much and how long the water ripples.
    The Linhof will win.

I had a metal tripod that had a slight "ring" that decayed slowly, but I found a solution (by chance) that worked for the single tubular leg... I was at a surplus store and found a large roll of electronics shrink tubing slightly larger than the tube OD, and slipped these over outside of legs, then took a heat gun and shrunk it so it was tight over legs... Dampened it well for long telescope use...

Another effective vibration test for very long 35mm Tele rigs was to use laser pointer to bounce off front filter and let dot hit distant wall... Dot will blur with greater vibration, but changes with tripod loading and balance points on camera will change this vibration pattern...

One problem is some metal tripods are very stiff and will ring like a guitar string if struck... Some pods have "lossy" locks and fittings that hold well, but not as stiff and these tend to behave better "dampened"...

Steve K

Bob - the current equivalent would be the 003323 plus 003755, and yes, the example I had in my hands was very stable, but the series 5 Gitzo was that bit 'deader', much like the column of De Vere enlargers transmits less vibration than some seemingly heftier machines. Maybe I was being flippant about the ringing, but the Gitzo seemed to have the edge even with the glass of water - and bear in mind this is splitting the difference between 'excellent' and 'a little better than excellent'. If I was a tiny bit taller, I'd have gone for the Linhof no question at all - I liked the design of the leg extension locks a lot (and the overall build), and if I wanted to use it with a dolly, as per Tin's image upthread I'd have gone for the Linhof in preference. I note that Linhof now offer a wooden leg version of the 003323, and I imagine that will be the best of the lot for dampening.
    Last edited by interneg; 3-Jul-2020 at 17:44.

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    Bob - the current equivalent would be the 00323 plus 00375, and yes, the example I had in my hands was very stable, but the series 5 Gitzo was that bit 'deader', much like the column of De Vere enlargers transmits less vibration than some seemingly heftier machines. Maybe I was being flippant about the ringing, but the Gitzo seemed to have the edge even with the glass of water - and bear in mind this is splitting the difference between 'excellent' and 'a little better than excellent'. If I was a tiny bit taller, I'd have gone for the Linhof no question at all - I liked the design of the leg extension locks a lot (and the overall build), and if I wanted to use it with a dolly, as per Tin's image upthread I'd have gone for the Linhof in preference. I note that Linhof now offer a wooden leg version of the 00323, and I imagine that will be the best of the lot for dampening.
    There is no 00323. That is not a Linhof catalog number.
    Try 003323. For some reason you are leaving out a digit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    There is no 00323. That is not a Linhof catalog number.
    Try 003323. For some reason you are leaving out a digit.
    Fixed them. For whatever reason they're surprisingly easy codes to get wrong compared to Durst/ Leitz/ De Vere.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Dead link

I almost had the smaller Linhof tri-corner stand, but it was in Canada and too expensive for what it was, no shipping too

I have all the 50's Linhof gear I need

Here is some of it, the Linhof case holds that 5X7, the period Kodak lens has a Packard shutter inside the Linhof lensboard, usable with 4X5, 5x7 and 8X10 Linhof backs

I have zero interest in handheld Linhof

The 8X10 Linhof is so heavy I have to take it apart bit by bit

Linhof 5X7 Case by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

Linhof Kodak 405 (1) by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Wow Thats some beautiful gear! I don't have a 8x10 so no need of the Giga. My heaviest camera is either a 13x18 solid wood Bermpohl color camera or the 40" Fairchild F56 which should be holdable by the Heavy-Duty but I need to figure an adapter for it that fits the 90mm hole...

Was cable to get to the back of my garage and pull out the Linhof Heavy-Duty Tripod... My ball head fits perfect in the 90mm opening with the plate removed. However I could not remove the center column so I can not actuate the ball head via the handle once mounted. I have seen people unscrew the center column on these Heavy Duty tripods but mine wont budge... I have never removed it and as far as I know it might have never been removed since new Long, Long, Ago... or perhaps the unscrewing feature is not a feature of mine...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7930.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	205427 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7950.jpg 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	205428

Quote Originally Posted by Embdude View Post
    Was cable to get to the back of my garage and pull out the Linhof Heavy-Duty Tripod... My ball head fits perfect in the 90mm opening with the plate removed. However I could not remove the center column so I can not actuate the ball head via the handle once mounted. I have seen people unscrew the center column on these Heavy Duty tripods but mine wont budge... I have never removed it and as far as I know it might have never been removed since new Long, Long, Ago... or perhaps the unscrewing feature is not a feature of mine...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7930.jpg 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	205427 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7950.jpg 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	205428
    They don’t unscrew. It should just be a matter of loosening the clamp on the top of the 003323 tripod.

When Berkey Photo Marketing was the distributor before we were they marketed some special models in the USA with a permenately mounted head. They called them the Nuline 1, 2 and 3. It’s possible that they also sold the Heavy Duty Pro with column as a special as well.

Thanks Bob, I did not see any clamp other than the one to clamp the 90mm headpiece. The braces between the legs and the shaft detach easily which would lead me to believe the shaft should be as well but it seems quite stuck. I will have another look at it tomorrow...

Linhof 90mm Top Plate with 1/4" Thread

It can be a very tight fit even if you loosen this, with possible corrosion or somebody glued it in.

I bought a new 3/8" version of the above from B&H some time ago. I have an older 1/4"

The Heavy duty was made in the 50's with wood legs also as i have one. I believe it was spec for movie cameras

I have Linhof catalogs somewhere, my library is not in order

Linhof 90 mm c;lamps by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can