Thread: Contrast filters: Nisi, Lee systems?

Contrast filters: Nisi, Lee systems?

Hello!

I was looking into getting a new set of B&W contrast filters, as the older system I have, is getting to its end of life (most of them are scratched). I had a Newer filters before, but for my digital kit I recently purchased a Nisi system. I was hoping if there are any filters I can use which are compatible with Nisi? I was wondering if systems like Lee or Nisi have any contrast filter offerings as well? I checked for them on some places, and didn't really find any good results.

I was hoping to check if anyone is using the NISI system and has found any compatible filter sets which are cheap maybe?

Thanks,

Re: Contrast filters: Nisi, Lee systems?

If you are looking to use glass filters those systems will not work as glass has double the thickness in contrast filters. I use the format hitech adapter which has a slot for the double thick glass and two of the newer filters ie big stopper from lee.

Lee makes resin coated filters you can use on their system. I don’t have experience with those directly but they are likely of good quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gcastillo1986 View Post
    If you are looking to use glass filters those systems will not work as glass has double the thickness in contrast filters. I use the format hitech adapter which has a slot for the double thick glass and two of the newer filters ie big stopper from lee.

Lee makes resin coated filters you can use on their system. I don’t have experience with those directly but they are likely of good quality.

Thank you for the reply! I was hoping to ask which ND filters and Contrast filters do you use with the Hitech System? Is it compatible with Lee as well?

The problem for me has been to switch between 2 systems when I want to use the ND grads vs when I wanna use the Contrast filters. I was really hoping to use one system which could do both, and provide good quality.

Thanks,

Have the Nisi ver 5 system 100mm and use it primarily with it's polarizer and ND filters. Nisi does not to my knowledge or at least haven't seen on their website any of B&W contrast filters. I also have used it with out any issue, with resin and glass filters from Lee in both the 100x100 (ND) and 100x150 (GND) without any issue. Lee does have some resin coated B&W contrast Filters in 100X100 which should work fine with the NISI system 5 or 6 filter holder. Formatt Hitech ND filters also fit the Nisi holder without any issue.

Quote Originally Posted by apatnaik View Post
    Thank you for the reply! I was hoping to ask which ND filters and Contrast filters do you use with the Hitech System? Is it compatible with Lee as well?

The problem for me has been to switch between 2 systems when I want to use the ND grads vs when I wanna use the Contrast filters. I was really hoping to use one system which could do both, and provide good quality.

Thanks,
    I use tiffen contrast filters such as the one below. Mind these are 4mm thick vs the standard 2.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/54149-REG

Cokin make 100mm contrast filters, fairly inexpensively, in resin, but not glass.

https://cokinfilter.com/collections/...=1610774872077

Quote Originally Posted by JWebb View Post
    Have the Nisi ver 5 system 100mm and use it primarily with it's polarizer and ND filters. Nisi does not to my knowledge or at least haven't seen on their website any of B&W contrast filters. I also have used it with out any issue, with resin and glass filters from Lee in both the 100x100 (ND) and 100x150 (GND) without any issue. Lee does have some resin coated B&W contrast Filters in 100X100 which should work fine with the NISI system 5 or 6 filter holder. Formatt Hitech ND filters also fit the Nisi holder without any issue.
    Awesome! Thank you so much for the information! I think I was able to locate the resin version of the lee filters which seem to be right thickness for the Nisi filter holders. Gotta save up for them though, they are quite expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by abruzzi View Post
    Cokin make 100mm contrast filters, fairly inexpensively, in resin, but not glass.

https://cokinfilter.com/collections/...=1610774872077
    Sadly the filter system I was hoping to use them with require the filters to be 2mm thickness, which might cause some problems.

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by apatnaik View Post
    Sadly the filter system I was hoping to use them with require the filters to be 2mm thickness, which might cause some problems.
    The Cokin specs are 1.6mm for the 100x100 filters, so a little tape along the edges would probably tighten them up so they're not too loose.

Quote Originally Posted by abruzzi View Post
    The Cokin specs are 1.6mm for the 100x100 filters, so a little tape along the edges would probably tighten them up so they're not too loose.
    I can def give that a try! The price difference is def substantial, and if this works might be a bit more affordable for me! Thanks abruzzi!