Thread: Lightweight stable tripod platform

Lightweight stable tripod platform

I don't like putting 8x10 or larger view cameras on 1.5x2" quick release plates. For years, I've been using either a vintage Graflex Crown No. 4 or Ries tripod with 6" or more diameter platforms/heads.

When I recently bought an ultra-light FLM tripod, I tried again to use a QR plate and was still not happy, so I tried making my own platform head to sit on top of the legs. Having used it quite a bit on a recent trip, I'm satisfied with it so thought someone else might be interested.

It's made of 1/4 mahogany. 6" x 11". Has a 3/8 socket in the center to screw onto the tripod bolt and two (slightly wider than) 1/4" holes through which a thumb screw (with thumb nut) can be inserted into the 1/4-20 socket on the camera. Felt covering on the camera side. The two holes allow me to center the camera over the top of the legs when using either a short focal length lens or when the front rail is extended. Platform (with thumb screw and nut) weighs only 8 3/4oz.

Cheers!
    Michael
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0507.jpg   IMG_0508.jpg   IMG_0509.jpg   IMG_0510.jpg  

Re: Lightweight stable tripod platform

I have my 5x7 and 8x10 Ansco views each mounted on a piece of wood just like this, with the two holes lined up to the two holes in the cameras' bases, and the mounting hole at the ideal balance point (which none of the cameras' own holes were). Then on the bottom I use Bogen hex plates, which are very secure. The 8x10 is mounted on one of Bogen's big 4x4" square plates. This all adds some weight, but it's comfortingly secure. I have my 8x10 Intrepid mounted on an Arca plate, but I got a long one so I could slide the mount to the ideal balance. I feel OK about the Arca system, but it's a little clumsy compared with the hex plates.

In the case of flatbeds like the Anscos, this goes a long way to stiffening them up, too.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Re: Lightweight stable tripod platform

The other plus to using one of these is if it gets too windy, this will give a place to press downwards to dampen rig for those last ditch efforts to get a shot...

I would prefer a round one that the corners don't aim away while mounting and using, and is a little more compact...

Another trick with these is to draw an X with the apex at where the tripod screw is, and another X on camera bottom, so when mounting camera, you line up X's to match position, and the screw finds the camera socket easily...

Steve K