Thread: DIY traction improvers for Bogen 3221 tripod

DIY traction improvers for Bogen 3221 tripod

Sometime back I posted a query for suggestions for adding some traction to the feet of my Bogen 3221 tripod. Much of my work is indoors, and although the rubber feet generally work well, they can slip a bit when the legs start nearing full extension.

The round feet are just enough larger than 1” in diameter to prevent using 1” rubber furniture leg cups. Well, I subsequently came across some 1 1/8” ones made by Everbilt at Home Depot and snapped them up, even though they’re white. (“Well, I am a B&W photographer after all,” he rationalized.)

The photos show my solution. I used a matte knife to cut off the unneeded top portion (two inner embossed rings). Since the cup would not stay on, I cut a half-inch-wide, roughly 1-inch-long rectangle from a 2” round non-slip self-adhesive pad (same manufacturer) to insert , to take up just enough space to keep the cup secure but allow its easy removal, since I don’t always need these. I rinsed the powdery residue from inside the cups and dried them, and the rectangle adhered well.

Maybe not the most elegant solution, but the traction is excellent.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Exhibit A.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	108.4 KB 
ID:	205240Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Exhibit B.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	205241
    Last edited by Ulophot; 28-Jun-2020 at 13:34. Reason: tripod model correction
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Re: DIY traction improvers for Bogen 3221 tripod

Most Bogens I've seen have leg-spread limiters at the top of the legs adjustable to two or three angles. You can also put restricting cords or light chains lower on the legs to keep them from spreading. But yeah, more traction is a nice option too.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Re: DIY traction improvers for Bogen 3221 tripod

That is nice. I just re-furbished my 30 year old Bogen with a new bubble level, new nylock nuts on the adjusters and a good tightening of the head assembly.

Those rubber tips remind me of a project where I refurbished the rubber wheels on my D5500 enlarger using those and some O-rings.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 4.28.04 PM.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	205248