Thread: Lowepro Powder BP 500 AW

Lowepro Powder BP 500 AW

Hi folks, the other day, in March 2020, I bought a hiking backpack (Corona induced lockdown frustration), which should also be suitable for photo cameras. The "Lowepro Powder BP 500 AW". I don't know if it is also available in the USA. I just wanted to give a short report, because there is always the question of how to transport the equipment.

Here is a review: https://marcinciepielewski.pl/articl...aghia-morocco/

The important thing: it is a real hiking backpack for regular alpine tours, which is very easy to carry, even with wide shoulders, a thick belly and beginning to go bald (me). Everything is well sewn and processed, stable, durable. Because of its suitability for the mountains, I now take it with me more often than the also very good König Fotorucksack 2, https://www.koenig-photobags.de/fotorucksack/ which Linhof recommended for the Technika.

The Lowepro also has a tripod holder on the side and a lid on the back. This opening allows you to put the backpack with the dripping wet rain cover into the wet grass, into the tick meadow, into the mud with the horse dung in rainy weather and still have comfortable access to the camera. If you attach a large golf umbrella (1.30 m diameter, wind opening, attachment by Manfrotto clamp) to the tripod and put the rucksack under the tripod, everything stays dry while taking pictures. - Even better: because the shoulder straps of the lying backpack are on the upper side, the ticks, the beetles, the worms, the horse manure remain on the lower outside and on we go.

What fits in the photo compartment? Occasionaly I put in a Zenza Bronica S2a with 50, 75, 200 and two magazines, a Sekonic L558 and a L28c2, 10 films. But most of the time I put my tiny Technika IV 4x5 into the photo compartment, with a Super-Angulon 75 incl. Linhof wide angle adjuster, a Sironar N 150 in the camera and another Apo-Ronar 360 in a Compur Electronic 3, plus 6 film holders, the two light meters and accessories (magnifying glass, spirit level, dark cloth, cable releases).

On the side: the golf umbrella, a water bottle, a Gitzo 3-Segment Studex Performance with G1570M 3D head.

Otherwise: rain jacket, provisions, folding knife. There would be about 20l space left, but I only need that if I have to carry another Grafmatic or additional film holders, or a Cokin P system, or a Meyer Tele-Megor 400 that goes to the Brownica.

The backpack is not sooo expensive. A Nya Evo is chic, but also twice as expensive. Here in Switzerland the Lowepro is on sale. Apparently not so many people go hiking taking pictures...

Maybe my tip will benefit someone who is looking for something. I think they should build more of these backpacks.

Greetings
    Last edited by Daniel Casper Lohenstein; 29-Jun-2020 at 05:31.

Re: Lowepro Powder BP 500 AW

Looks like a good option. It's available in the usa: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...w.html/reviews
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know