Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Develop -N2

Re: Develop -N2

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I find that reducing tray inter-leafing frequency risks more air bubble halos and perhaps streaking too, depending on the specifics. HC-110 is a developer which works quite well over a wide range of dilutions; but again, not all film respond equally well to that approach. Basically, I tend to defer to films with the longest straight line to handle high contrast scenes, rather than overexposing and compressing less suitable candidates with longer toe sections. When necessary, I employ unsharp masking too, which is in certain ways the most elegant answer because it can do other things at the same time, like automatic dodging and burning, and microtonal enhancement as well.
    Forums work best when the respondents tend to selectively, specifically and briefly answer the original threads question. Second rule of thumb. Avoid "I do this and I do that" diatribes. The originator of the forum post simply does not care. Why? Because they are trying to formulate their own path along this journey and all they want is practical guidance. When they sign up for a photographic workshop, that is an indication that they have a divergence of opinion relative to this recommended forum rule of thumb. I have been on this forum since 1998 and 95% of the time if I have nothing to add substantively I defer. Just my $0.02.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    Forums work best when the respondents tend to selectively, specifically and briefly answer the original threads question. Second rule of thumb. Avoid "I do this and I do that" diatribes. The originator of the forum post simply does not care. Why? Because they are trying to formulate their own path along this journey and all they want is practical guidance. When they sign up for a photographic workshop, that is an indication that they have a divergence of opinion relative to this recommended forum rule of thumb. I have been on this forum since 1998 and 95% of the time if I have nothing to add substantively I defer. Just my $0.02.
    I’m a person that not always regularly check my email or forum posts, the digital world is already to time consuming.
    The last day’s the weather here has changed, mostly clouds and a lot of rain. So it was not possible to go out and take some pictures.
    Also we go to work come home in the evening prepare dinner and before you know it’s past 21:00 ...
    I’ll try to post today the first image.
    I’m taking pictures sinds 1979, from time to time I get in ‘trouble’ or I want to try something that I have never done before. Then I turn to this forum for guidance.
    Most people here have more knowledge then me.
    Also A lot of people here are well spoken, and that’s not me. I’m happy out there with a camera and away from everything

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Delta 100 is capable of very good highlight gradation, but quickly builds high contrast. So it sounds like you overdeveloped it.
    My development time was 10:30 as recommended in the Technical sheet of Ilford

How dit I measure, with my seiconic, take a reading of the darkest - put in memory - take a reading of the lightest - put in memory - calculate the average, and check again the darkest to see if it falls into zone 3 or between 3 and 2. Adapt the time accordingly.
    So this was 1/2 sec on f22 - Schneider-Kreuznach Super-Angulon 90mm f/5.6
    Probably had to gone for 1Sec for the darkest, because I have lost some detail there.
    The darkest -> the blacks on the boat
    The lightest -> the right tree, just in the middle
    Last edited by PatrickMarq; 30-Jun-2020 at 23:21. Reason: extra information

Patrick, I think Doremus's suggestion will serve you well as a starting point for this scene, i.e., 7 min with an extra stop of exposure. If that takes you a bit too far, 8 minutes may be about right. The first is 70% of your original time, the second about 75%.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by Ulophot View Post
    Patrick, I think Doremus's suggestion will serve you well as a starting point for this scene, i.e., 7 min with an extra stop of exposure. If that takes you a bit too far, 8 minutes may be about right. The first is 70% of your original time, the second about 75%.
    Philip, Yes I will definitely try Doremus suggestion but for the moment there is heavy rain for the rest of the week.

Patrick,
    If you are making darkroom prints, print flashing might be an option to bring down the highlight on and around the tree. The tonal range in the rest of the image looks great.

Drew Wiley

There's no way over the web to tell what is actually renderable in the extremes. It's simply too crude of a visual medium. And I can't comment on the development time because it's not a developer I personally use. But pertaining to the film itself in a high contrast situation, the toe of Delta should be factored to give solid black around Z2. I prefer to rate it at 50 to boost it up the toe and little more, and thereby make Z2 the approximate threshold of perceptible shadow texture rather than sheer black (carefully metered and depending on the manner of printing of course - but some density variation should be detectable on the negative in the shadows themselves). Specular highlights should be around Z9, and the highest highlight texture around Z8. The exposure setting should therefore be relative to Z5 on the dial, and not necessarily an average between extremes! A lot depends on just how much life and sparkle you want to retain in the print, versus beating the negative into submission. In such cases, I'd personally rather switch to the slightly longer range of TMax than to do gross minus development. You can also explore just how far you can get via advanced VC printing techniques like split printing on a high quality paper, or even just going back in and selectively burning in with a green filter to tame the upper ranges somewhat. .. But Michael K., I recognize your own valid contributions; but in this case, you are welcome to a 2 cent refund anytime. I'll keep anything you post worth ten bucks or more. There is more than one way to skin a cat, and sometimes people do appreciate that a potential option exists.

Maybe try stand developing? That way the highlights will stop and be preserved some while the developer is still working on the shadows.