Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New HC110 Liquid Same as Old HC110 Syrup?

New HC110 Liquid Same as Old HC110 Syrup?

Hi, I just received a new order of some Kodak HC110 and was surprised it wasn't the syrup. I guess I wasn't paying attention about this change.

Two questions:

1 - Are the dilution ratios the same for the liquid and the syrup?

2 - Any other notable changes that I should know about regarding using the new liquid formula vs. the syrup?

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Larry

Drew Wiley

Re: New HC110 Liquid Same as Old HC110 Syrup?

There are miles of thread on this very question over on APUG. Consensus is that the working properties are nearly identical. What remains in question is whether or not the newest formula concentrate has the same remarkable storage life of previous versions or not.

Thanks Drew.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    There are miles of thread on this very question over on APUG. Consensus is that the working properties are nearly identical. What remains in question is whether or not the newest formula concentrate has the same remarkable storage life of previous versions or not.

A few over on PHOTRIO have reported some minor storage issues; not sure, yet, if the issues affect the capability of the concentrate. Otherwise, processing appears to be the same times at the various dilutions.

Good Info, thank you for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    A few over on PHOTRIO have reported some minor storage issues; not sure, yet, if the issues affect the capability of the concentrate. Otherwise, processing appears to be the same times at the various dilutions.

I’ve been using the “new” HC110, and so far it’s giving me the same results as the old stuff at the dilutions I’m used to working with. The new HC110 is easier to pour and measure, too. I still have a bottle of the old stuff that’s got to be more than 10 years old, and I’ve used it with success, too. I hope this new HC110 will have similar keeping properties.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Calwell View Post
    I still have a bottle of the old stuff that’s got to be more than 10 years old, and I’ve used it with success, too. I hope this new HC110 will have similar keeping properties.
    Came across 2 bottles of unopened Rodinal and HC-110 that have to be almost 30 years old. Shot a test roll of 120 and processed half in one developer and half in the other developer. Both films looked fine. Now to figure out how to approach processing a sealed box of a dozen 4x5 Eastman glass plates that are more than 100 years old. Have to acquire a used 4x5 glass plate holder first... Scary part is that if I successfully process one of the glass plates, what to shoot with the other 11.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Just as background info, the old HC110 was glycol-based, not water-based. Glycol will not give up oxygen to degrade the chemistry. Water will. I don't know what the current HC110 uses as a base.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

And long ago, the HC-110 'syrup' was a dark brown from the factory. At some point (in the 1980s) the color changed to bright yellow. The working characteristics were unchanged (I was running a replenished sink line using it at the time) but it did cause some wonderment, as Kodak (then my employer) never announced any changes. Fred Picker wrote a pretty good rant about it, in his newsletter, at the time. I haven't used HC-110 in over 20 years so can't offer any useful advice, sorry.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    And long ago, the HC-110 'syrup' was a dark brown from the factory. At some point (in the 1980s) the color changed to bright yellow...
    The bright yellow eventually goes to the dark brown, but still works as well as it did when it was new. Also as well as the old dark brown stuff did when it was new. And the old dark brown stuff also worked like new when it was old.

I suspect some sort of time-travel or temporal anomaly is involved...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."