Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cambo sc and Schneider 90mm f/8 Super Angulon Multicoated focus problems

Cambo sc and Schneider 90mm f/8 Super Angulon Multicoated focus problems

Hi,

just recently buy the cambo sc and the Schneider super angulon 90 mm and I have recently also bought a wide angle bellows because with the normal bellows I couldn't focus.

The problem is that I have been testing the lens with the wide-angle bellows (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cambo-Wei...97.m4902.l9144 )

But still, I can't focus at any point. I have read in some forums that wide angle bellows should fix problems but I assume that I also need to get a recessed board? It is normal to need it both with this lens and camera?

Many thanks for your help!

Jordi

Re: Cambo sc and Schneider 90mm f/8 Super Angulon Multicoated focus problems

Can you move the front and back standards together, so that the tripod block is not in the middle (but behind the two standards). Closer together means you can focus wider lenses. Otherwise if not possible then use a recessed board, which depending on your camera might allow you more camera standard adjustment mobility.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

This is a well-known problem. The well-known solution is to position the tripod mounting block in front of the front standard or behind the rear standard. When the tripod mounting block is positioned between the standards, as is usually done to balance the camera better, it prevents the standards from as close together as short lenses need.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

It also helps to use a recessed board.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    It also helps to use a recessed board.
    The OP should set the camera up properly before shelling out for a board that's not needed.

Does that model have reversible standards?

Yes, but they come closer than needed when set up normally with the tripod mounting block positioned in front of the front standard or behind the rear standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    The OP should set the camera up properly before shelling out for a board that's not needed.
    Yes, setting up camera correctly is the first task. No other option was stated or implied.

I’m well aware of your opinion on recessed board of Cambo, Dan. Maybe not “necessary” but it sure does give a bit more flexibility on the bellows. I think we both speak from experience so...

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I’m well aware of your opinion on recessed board of Cambo, Dan. Maybe not “necessary” but it sure does give a bit more flexibility on the bellows. I think we both speak from experience so...
    Agree pretty much. After the OP sets the camera up properly and finds that the bellows contrains movements intolerably, then it will be time to shop for a bag bellows. But first things first, and that includes learning what the equipment at hand can do.

So you'll know, I have some Cambo recessed boards. A deep one (25 mm, I think) for 2x3 that I find unusable because of the difficulty of reaching the shutter's controls. two shallower ones for 2x3 and a 4x5er that I should sell. One of the shallow ones has an adapter for 2x3 Pacemaker Graphic boards so I can use my 60/14 Perigraphe front-mounted on an Ilex #3 for 6x12. I also have a flat 2x3 board with a 2x3 Pacemaker board adapter. Even with a bag bellows -- remember, I made one -- and the camera set up properly the Ilex gives too much extension. Works fine on a 2x3 Crown Graphic but it can't do 6x12.

Cheers,

Dan

Thanks Dan... very interesting additional info!