Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Light weight 810 system

Re: Light weight 810 system

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    I think so, but why not ask Really Right Stuff?
    I saw someone compare this one with Gitzo leveling base and I thought this might fit Gitzo 3 series. But when I called RRS, they told me that it won't fit.

I have a Gitzo leveling base, and it's a very tight fit on a G1325.

I use this column with one of my aluminum 3 series Gitzos: https://www.siruiusa.com/index/photo...ml?cid=5&id=35

It fits perfectly.

The corresponding leveling base is: https://www.siruiusa.com/index/photo...ml?cid=6&id=37

I'd contact to confirm that it fits. I'm very happy with Sirui quality.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I do not hike around with any camera due to age and joints, but . . .

I routinely use my 8x10 Kodak 2D without a hesd on a set of Burlbach legs that has a leveling center post . The movement provided by the leveling post is usually enough for the images I make.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I use the old Kodak 2D in Magnesium , rare but very light and solid. Then I use a Gitzo carbon fiber tripod with a small head. Cannot remember model numbers. I do like the Rodenstock 240mm Symmar and although it not the lightest I do like the colour rendering. I can put this all in a carryon bag with two fidelity holders adn off I go I make the weight limits for carry on too.

RRS came out with a replacement for their universal leveling base, lowering the height, and label it as a 2 series: TA-2U-LB. Although I've used my older universal leveling base with SLR's I like the ergonomics of the locking mechanism more than the 3 series (or similar Gitzo) leveling base. The older 2 series leveling base seemed to have the same bowl as the 3 series, but a smaller diameter attachment to the tripod. The load capacity was also the same 25 lbs. I think the universal RRS would handle a light weight 810 camera unless it had a very long extension. Kirk makes a similar universal leveling base: https://www.adorama.com/kirtlb1.html

The RRS 4 series leveling base is much bigger ( 100mm vs 72mm platform ). The load rating is higher at 50 lbs.

Linhof makes a leveling base which is occasionally sold on the used market which "looks sturdier" but actually has a 10kg rating https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ead.html/specs .

In spite of the small surface to attach the RRS to a 3 series Gitzo, I would probably buy it if I needed a replacement. https://www.reallyrightstuff.com/ta-2u-lb_2

Quote Originally Posted by Songyun View Post
    I am searching for a good leveling base. Can someone tell me if "SERIES 3 TRIPOD LEVELING BASE | TA-3-LB" works on Gitzo 3 series tripods?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Keller View Post
    Linhof makes a leveling base which is occasionally sold on the used market which "looks sturdier" but actually has a 10kg rating https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ead.html/specs .

In spite of the small surface to attach the RRS to a 3 series Gitzo, I would probably buy it if I needed a replacement. https://www.reallyrightstuff.com/ta-2u-lb_2
    I have and use this very same head, except it is the previous model with bare metal showing through on the raised pattern on the top and bottom of the head. I can attest that it can carry an 8x10 Chamonix or a vintage 8x10 Sinar Norma with a 508mm lens on the camera. I once had to mount my 11x14 on top of this head (only head I had with me at the time). It was windy, and I couldn't get the image on the GG to be still. Its present new list price makes me sit back in my chair and smile... got mine off ebay for well under $100 and have passed up on others similarly priced. What I did notice in closely looking at the image of the new one and holding mine next to the screen, is that the new one pictured has a 3/8-16 screw and not the 1/4-20 size as mentioned in the text. Visually confirmed without a doubt, trust me. I would love to have a solid 3/8-16 screw to attach my camera to. Having to insert an Oben 3/8"-16 to 1/4"-20 Reducer Bushing ($2.49 in the "Recommended Accessories") into the bottom of my cameras always makes me cringe just a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I have and use this very same head, except it is the previous model with bare metal showing through on the raised pattern on the top and bottom of the head. I can attest that it can carry an 8x10 Chamonix or a vintage 8x10 Sinar Norma with a 508mm lens on the camera. I once had to mount my 11x14 on top of this head (only head I had with me at the time). It was windy, and I couldn't get the image on the GG to be still. Its present new list price makes me sit back in my chair and smile... got mine off ebay for well under $100 and have passed up on others similarly priced. What I did notice in closely looking at the image of the new one and holding mine next to the screen, is that the new one pictured has a 3/8-16 screw and not the 1/4-20 size as mentioned in the text. Visually confirmed without a doubt, trust me. I would love to have a solid 3/8-16 screw to attach my camera to. Having to insert an Oben 3/8"-16 to 1/4"-20 Reducer Bushing ($2.49 in the "Recommended Accessories") into the bottom of my cameras always makes me cringe just a little.
    It was available with either ¼ or ⅜ male screw. You just had to specify which size you wanted.
    If you had the ¼ thread you could add the Linhof bushing to convert it to ⅜”. The bushing is brass and has 5 full turns of thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    It was available with either ¼ or ⅜ male screw. You just had to specify which size you wanted.
    If you had the ¼ thread you could add the Linhof bushing to convert it to ⅜”. The bushing is brass and has 5 full turns of thread.
    Thanks for the info Bob. Unfortunately the 1/4-20 screw on the top of my Linhof head has only 3 threads. I actually have one of those brass 5 thread bushings that I can screw into the bottom of my camera, but I prefer to use a harder SS metal one (I'm sure better than the $2.49 Oben) since I am ultimately having to depend on only those 3 threads on the top of my Linhof head.

Here's my lightweight Alpinist with a set of lenses ranging from 165mm to 450mm. ThinkTank camera bag, Gitzo/RRS tripod. A joy to use!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AW_20180116XP2_3819.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	205476

Name:	AW_20180125XP2_4244.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	205477
    To infinity - and beyond...

Rene P.

Quote Originally Posted by Valdecus View Post
    Here's my lightweight Alpinist with a set of lenses ranging from 165mm to 450mm. ThinkTank camera bag, Gitzo/RRS tripod. A joy to use!

Name:	AW_20180116XP2_3819.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	205476

Name:	AW_20180125XP2_4244.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	205477
    Valdecus - which ThinkTank bag do you use, and how many film holders do you carry? Do you have a pic of the organized bag?