Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Light weight 810 system

Re: Light weight 810 system

I use a Gitzo GT3531 with center column replaced with a Markin hub, and the Linhof Cube. The Cube is heavy but the best thing I have ever used.

Drew Wiley

Peter, Nonsense! - I've been on rough terrain more often than not, many many many times - no tripod head needed. All kinds of odd and precarious setup positions. The early surveyors necessarily did it that way, every single time, often atop very remote high summits; and they HAD to be precise - every single time. My own dad worked that way as a surveyor for major Fed dam projects like Grand Coulee. I learned the technique with that old brass transit. You can't ask for more solid proof than that. It simply WILL work! I've done architectural photog that way too. I've sold modern survey equipment too, including tripods, and would rather have a versatile, easily customized platform top any day than a scooped/dome version; but whatever one is accustomed to and uses intuitively themselves makes sense, but not always in terms of lessening weight. I use pan tilt heads for most MF camera applications except esp long heavy teles, so am quite familiar with the distinctions. Those Gimbal supports would be worthless with the 300mm lenses for my P67; but that's not the primary topic here. If one insists on some kind of intermediate support, the Ries or Sinar makes the most sense, but is still redundant extra wt as far as I'm concerned.

Arca-Swiss

The Arca-Swiss Ball heads such as Z1+ have friction adjustments for movements. also as they do not use a spherical ball, but a more egg like, or elliptical shape, the head is never floppy like so many others. Should you fail to fully lock the head

down and, say your camera began to tip, the friction increases the more off axis it becomes.

The lightweight choices for the lenses in various focal lengths would be Schneider 150mm Apo-Symmar XL, Rodenstock Apo-Sironar W 210mm or Fuji 250mm 6.7 (398 IC), Fuji 300mm A/S F9 (420 IC). Longer Fuji made a 450mm F12.5 which

was quite small, but did not have the contrast and especially, color contrast of the 450mm Nikon M. The 450mm Nikon is not huge though it used a #3 Shutter. Many of my students used the Nikon 450mm for 11x14 with great results, even though the image circle was only listed at 440mm.(11x14 diagonal is about 452mm).

Arca-Swiss offers a quite compact 8x10, The Misura. 8.8 lbs.
    Rod Klukas
    US Representative
    Arca-Swiss USA
    480-755-3364
    www.arca-swiss-usa.com

I was preparing for a shot tomorrow. And I decide to measure the weight:
    The bag: F-stop Loka UL +Pro ICU + a small lens bag + Alpinist + 1X wooden film holder + 150 ssxl + center filter + F-spotmeter + loupe + Dark cloth 15.8lbs

Tripod 3541LS + adapter + J-250 6.8lbs

So at 25lbs (with 3 holders)you have all that you need except food and snacks. That seems pretty good to me. Not back packing for a week good, but traveling a few miles on foot to get a shot good.

Songyun, I like this thread, it plays into my own work on developing a lightweight 8x10 system after starting out with a Kodak 2D years ago. Thanks for starting the thread....

I got my gear and bathroom scale out. My total is close to yours, 22.8 pounds, but of course the details vary.

Pack, 14.4lbs, including 8x10 (7x11) horizontal camera, two lenses (or more specifically, four lenses, two shutters: a Wolly f12.5, 159mm and a TR triple convertible), two film holders, dark cloth, and a diy tripod platform head, and miscellaneous stuff in pockets (headlamp, spare cable releases, velcro and tape rolls, mini-tool, spare hardware, spring clamp, etc.).

FLM CP30 L4II tripod, 3.3lb.

analog spot meter, 1.2lb, in nylon pouch with shoulder strap

vest, 3.8lb, includes cable release, log book, filters, air blaster, compass, lens wrench, rain poncho, backup incidence meter, small Canon Powershot, gloves, etc., etc.

My vest seems to be my weak point. When pushed, I extract what I need for a longer, higher, hotter hike, e.g., just the cable release and polarizing filter. So that drops my total weight to about 20lbs. I have also left behind the TR lens, so down to about 18lbs. Removing extraneous stuff served me well last month when I hiked to the Golden Cathedral in Grand Staircase-Escalante. The hike is 8mi roundtrip with 6mi across open desert.

I also have the option of just taking my 4x10 camera, one lens and one film holder (4 shots), dark cloth, meter, cable release, filter, and 2lb travel tripod for a total of about 10lbs.

I agree about your tripod; seems to me you could drop 2-3lbs by changing to a tripod and platform like mine. https://www.largeformatphotography.i...=1#post1558872
    Last edited by Michael Roberts; 29-Jun-2020 at 18:03.

Drew Wiley

How was that road to the Golden Cathedral trailhead? Being a relatively dry winter, I'd imagine it's not too bad. But I've seen bad years with washouts. I've never had any problems with my 4WD high-clearance truck; but if I travel with a friend who just has AWD, it can be more problematic. Last time, I entered the Escalante further down with about an 85 lb pack. Never mind why, except that I have always tried to keep the exercise load up there, even for a day hike, attempting to keep in shape for more ambitious treks. Now that I'm over 70, the wt isn't anywhere near that much, but I still try to keep it close to true backpack trip weight, or else I won't be properly conditioned when it counts.

Hole in the Rock Road was the worst washboarding I've ever encountered. Absolutely awful. We did about 5-6 trips on it, as far as 30mi one way.

I've never done overnight backpacking, but we did do a half-day llama trek this trip just for the fun of it. I think I'd take a llama if I was carrying 85 pounds, if possible. Not realistic if rappelling...

I admire your strength and endurance, Drew, and I envy your exploits into more remote places. Would be great to get as far away from people as possible and on a regular basis.

I am searching for a good leveling base. Can someone tell me if "SERIES 3 TRIPOD LEVELING BASE | TA-3-LB" works on Gitzo 3 series tripods?

I think so, but why not ask Really Right Stuff?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know