Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trail cart

Trail cart

Recently, I bought a Nikon AF-S 300mm f/2.8 D, a lens which weighs 7.5 lbs. I would like to be able to carry gear easily on non-rugged paths. I wanted something that would work well, be light and compact, and it should be easy to use. I remembered that for the last 25 years or so, I had a push-pull golf cart in my basement. It was probably from the 1960s or 70s. Well, I cleaned it up, and it looked in pretty good shape. Here it is:

I modified it by removing the part on the bottom of the shaft, i.e. the shelf that a golf bag would sit on. I drilled it out so that it could be moved up the shaft. I've ordered a rubber bumper for a cane from Amazon. That will go on the bottom of the 3/4" open shaft. My Thinktank backpack fits nicely. On the bottom of the pack there's a loop that fit's over the aforementioned shelf, and the straps go back around the main shaft of the cart. It's plenty secure. The cart is light, being all aluminum except for the bolts, the handle breaks down quickly. It only takes a few seconds to mount the back pack onto the cart. Hopefully, I'll get to test it out in the field soon.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Re: Trail cart

Who will be caddy?
    Tin Can

(Shrek)

I toyed with the idea for my 8x10 kit, as it's getting too heavy for my arthritic shoulders, arms, hands, back, hips, and knees to handle. Actually might be easier to list my body parts that don't have arthritis.

In the end I went with a rolling tool box from Home Depot, for 2 reasons: if there's a big obstacle in the path, there's a handle on the tool box to lift it up and over, and when I'm tired and want a break, I can sit on the tool box. I'm still toying with the idea of taking the wheels from my old golf caddy and fitting them to the tool box, perhaps as a clamp-on undercarriage for when I'm going into rougher areas. Please tell us how it fares and on what sort of trails, I think a lot of us have similar ideas. I'm also considering a pair of child's bicycle wheels (in the 10-12" range), which I thought would have the ideal weight/diameter ratio.

I bought one of those, used on Ebay, but have yet to try my pack on it. I like your mods and might work on it. Thanks.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Here's some more pics:

For trails like this:

Photo by Janice
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

This may work. It can go where wheels can't.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Preview_PackMule.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	161.4 KB 
ID:	205150

I got something for the 11x14...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BikeLevee.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

No Pics. . .Sorry.

I bought an inexpensive golf bag cart at goodwill and stripped off all the golf bag stuff. Then I used small hose clamps to attach an old (stripped down)external backpack frame to it. My LowePro Trekker AW slipped right on, and nestled right in. Worked well about anywhere a wheel chair could go and even off the path in the park.

This worked well for both my 4x5 and 8x10 kits, tripod and all. Wish there was a purpose built cart derived from either a golf bag cart or a jogging stroller.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

That's a good idea, Drew. I have an external frame somewhere....

Didn’t someone on here years ago raise llamas?