Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Trail cart

Re: Trail cart

For my budget, most of the options listed herein are simply too much money. I went with this to carry my entire 8x10 outfit:

https://www.costco.com/mac-sports-fo...100518869.html

I can't hike over big rocks, or up steep trails, etc, but it works for many of the places I want to go. If I want to hike long distances or up/down uneven terrain, I've got my 8x10 Intrepid outfit in a Kelty backpack.

I agree, Alan. I have a kinda similar cart, but mine...there's something in the geometry of it that makes it unpleasant for me to pull it. How is yours?
    Last edited by Peter De Smidt; 4-Jul-2020 at 09:41.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GORILLA-...CG-4/309521793

The wheels navigate uneven terrain very well.

I have one of those and tow it behind my lawn mower!

I like how it dumps. a slick simple design.

Quote Originally Posted by MCDJ View Post
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/GORILLA-...CG-4/309521793

The wheels navigate uneven terrain very well.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    I agree, Alan. I have a kinda similar cart, but mine...there's something in the geometry of it that makes it unpleasant for me to pull it. How is yours?
    So far, I haven't had any issues getting it where I want to go. But, I haven't used it over any terrain I'd call even mildly difficult. My primary objective with this cart is to enable me to get the 8x10 outfit further from the car than I could comfortably carry it.

The golf-bag cart conversion can be really low-cost. I have seen them at Goodwill for 420, and some are not that much more brand new.

They will support the weight of about any 4x5 kit. I had my 8x10 Kodak 2D on one at one time.

Mobility? It will go anywhere a wheel chair will go and off the path, anywhere a golfer canwalk in the rough. Mountain trails or rocks? Not so much.

A jogging stroller conversion looks less "Butch" , can cost more and is not as mobile off-path.

Remember that you can't take anything with wheels into "Wilderness" areas.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Another photo cart concept:

I got to thinking while the second cup of coffee cools.. .how about adapting/bonverting one of the more elaborate walkers? One of the models with big wheels and a built-in seat. One of the taller stand-up designs might allow a side-arm tripod post to be bolted on in a vernicle orientation to eliminate the tripod. Stability or vibration might be an issue to desl with. I'll bet Granger has some sort of hardware for that.

Not for off the path, but it would carry a load anywhere you could take a stroller.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Carl J View Post
    Can we see it loaded up when you have the chance? Interested.

Thanks!
    Loaded the 5x7 on the bike yesterday for a 20 mile ride -- mostly single track, but some old road and new roads. Started off with a slight climb, and then a 1100 foot drop in less than a mile. Bike did great. A beast to lift over fallen trees -- had to unpack once. The bike does have a "Walk" mode which came in handy through excessively steep/rough sections, deep sand, and mud where I could not or decided not to ride...or to help 'walk' the back tire over a log.

Started out with the pack loaded on the right side...1) Takes too much time to unpack for a quick image. 2) Bike difficult to balance when loading/unloading. 3) To easy to whack it against an immovable object (a redwood for example).

Shifted the tripod to the side, camera pack on top. Worked well with 5x7. 8x10 and 11x14 will take more thought.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BikeLoad1.jpg   BikeLoad2.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Very nice!

My heaviest worry is getting a flat or failed battery on my e bike deep in nowhere

Walk mode is good

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Loaded the 5x7 on the bike yesterday for a 20 mile ride -- mostly single track, but some old road and new roads. Started off with a slight climb, and then a 1100 foot drop in less than a mile. Bike did great. A beast to lift over fallen trees -- had to unpack once. The bike does have a "Walk" mode which came in handy through excessively steep/rough sections, deep sand, and mud where I could not or decided not to ride...or to help 'walk' the back tire over a log.

Started out with the pack loaded on the right side...1) Takes too much time to unpack for a quick image. 2) Bike difficult to balance when loading/unloading. 3) To easy to whack it against an immovable object (a redwood for example).

Shifted the tripod to the side, camera pack on top. Worked well with 5x7. 8x10 and 11x14 will take more thought.
    Tin Can

I had my tire repair kit and a floor pump (need to get something a little smaller!) and basic tools. I have two batteries, and worse comes to worse, I could pedal out of there. Actually, worse comes to worse, the camera pack goes on my back and I leave the bike (crumpled wheel, etc) until I can get back to it...or I can die...always a possibility while one is still breathing. Ninety+ percent of my adventures are solo, so I am use to the idea but so far have avoided it.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China