Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Prism Finder for Ebony Camera

Re: Prism Finder for Ebony Camera

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    As far as I know the only reflex viewer for 2x3 view cameras is Sinar's. Emmanuel Bigler has one, let me play with it. The view is lovely.

Cambo makes an inline viewer that fits 2x3 Graflok backs. SF-320. I have one, like it very much. But no magnification.
    Linhof has one for decades. And that means before there was Sinar. Also for 45 and 57.

Quote Originally Posted by grat View Post
    So first, I should say I'm new to both 4x5 cameras, and to using a hood. So my biggest complaint might just be par for the course with hoods.

Ease of use: Very good. Clips on easily, comes off easily. Opens without effort via a slight fingernail slot at the bottom. If you have very short fingernails, might be an issue. Can be removed with the ground glass assembly if you're using a roll film back or similar.

Looks: Snazzy! Same texture as the CF cover that comes with the camera, but looks like it was designed to be there, instead of dropped on at the last minute.

Loupe: Yes, but no. Because it's designed as a ground glass cover, the opening is just a hair larger than 4x5. I have a relatively large, medium length loupe (2" square, 2.5" high) and somewhat largish hands. If the loupe were slightly longer, or smaller, it would be much easier to work with but as it is, it's slightly awkward to use. I wind up holding the loupe against the glass with my thumb and forefinger inside the hood area, which works, but feels silly. I think I can print another base for the loupe, and get another half inch height and still be able to focus, so I may try that.

I have been able to use the camera in the field without a dark cloth, so that's a win. It does protect the ground glass without being as fiddly as the stock cover (which works, but I frequently wind up dropping it). I bought the cover and the loupe separately, without considering the combination, so that may be on me.

At least a 7/10, but I might be overly critical. Or... underly(?) critical. I lack experience to be certain. For now, though, it stays on the camera, and if it ever stops raining every day, I'll get more practice with it.
    Thanks for the description. What did you mean print another base for the loupe? WOuld extending it defeat the focusing at the GG?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Thanks for the description. What did you mean print another base for the loupe? WOuld extending it defeat the focusing at the GG?
    The loupe came with two bases-- one clear, one opaque. It also has (slightly) adjustable focal length. So by cranking it out a little bit, I can actually get good focus with the base 1/4 to 1/2" away from the ground glass. By printing a slightly taller base, I can still rest it against the glass, still achieve focus, and hopefully, not have to reach as far inside the hood to hold the loupe.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    As far as I know the only reflex viewer for 2x3 view cameras is Sinar's. Emmanuel Bigler has one, let me play with it. The view is lovely.

Cambo makes an inline viewer that fits 2x3 Graflok backs. SF-320. I have one, like it very much. But no magnification.
    Horseman made one for the VH that probably fits the earlier models as well. Wista also made an inline viewer that fits their 6x9 adapter screens and the sliding backs.

Kumar

The loupe came with two bases-- one clear, one opaque. It also has (slightly) adjustable focal length. So by cranking it out a little bit, I can actually get good focus with the base 1/4 to 1/2" away from the ground glass. By printing a slightly taller base, I can still rest it against the glass, still achieve focus, and hopefully, not have to reach as far inside the hood to hold the loupe.
    Would it still work if you cut off the bottom of the finder. I realize that would let in light. But is that possible so that the finder would still connect properly and be otherwise effective?

Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    Horseman made one for the VH that probably fits the earlier models as well. Wista also made an inline viewer that fits their 6x9 adapter screens and the sliding backs.

Kumar
    Toyo also made one that fits their 6x9 slider. Inline, not reflex.

Or get a long loupe - Horseman, Toyo and Wista made them.

Kumar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Would it still work if you cut off the bottom of the finder. I realize that would let in light. But is that possible so that the finder would still connect properly and be otherwise effective?
    I've cut it three times, and it's still too short!

The goal is to make it slightly longer, so I can get an easier grip on it, not shorter. I may not have been clear.

Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    Or get a long loupe - Horseman, Toyo and Wista made them.

Kumar
    True, a long loupe like one of those would solve the problem, which makes sense, since all of those manufacturers offer(ed) a similar hood.

I've got a slightly longer one, with a lower magnification factor, but I kind of like this one. And besides... what would I complain about then?

I've cut it three times, and it's still too short!

The goal is to make it slightly longer, so I can get an easier grip on it, not shorter. I may not have been clear.
    I meant cut the bottom of the Chamonix off so you can get your hand in there with the loupe?