Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Prism Finder for Ebony Camera

Re: Prism Finder for Ebony Camera

I have the Chamonix folding carbon-fiber hood. It doesn't block out as much light as the cloth hood, but it does cut down on glare considerably, and can allow use of the camera without a dark cloth. It's comparable to the usual folding hoods, looks nice folded up, and does a nice job protecting the GG / fresnel.

Easy enough to pop on-off and would be nice if it had a hinged base plate to allow it to be swung aside quickly-- but that goes against the Chamonix philosophy of "lighter is better".

Quote Originally Posted by grat View Post
    I have the Chamonix folding carbon-fiber hood. It doesn't block out as much light as the cloth hood, but it does cut down on glare considerably, and can allow use of the camera without a dark cloth. It's comparable to the usual folding hoods, looks nice folded up, and does a nice job protecting the GG / fresnel.

Easy enough to pop on-off and would be nice if it had a hinged base plate to allow it to be swung aside quickly-- but that goes against the Chamonix philosophy of "lighter is better".
    Do you have the folding type with or without the carbon cover?
    http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/ac...es/viewfinders

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    "The view finder here is for 4X5 only so far, but we are working on viewfinders for other cameras as well."

Hugo,
    A reflex finder for whole plate or 8x10 for us in the future?
    Greg

Norma Copy Setup 4x5 1to1 180 Componon by Nokton48, on Flickr

I use Sinar Norma cameras, their reflex finder has a couple of major advantages.

1) It is binocular not monocular. Magnifying lenses are available and interchangeable to suit your uses. The magnifier flips in and out with a lever.

2) The mirror angle can easily be adjusted via a screw knob. So you can see a lot more in the corners, esp with wide lenses. Needs a good fresnel.

It seems to me it should be very easy to adapt, although it's a rather large unit. Very light weight.
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 25-Jun-2020 at 07:42.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

With.

Grat: How does the folding type with the carbon cover work for you? Can you use a loupe? Other advantages and problems?

Grat: How does the folding type with the carbon cover work for you? Can you use a loupe? Other advantages and problems?
    So first, I should say I'm new to both 4x5 cameras, and to using a hood. So my biggest complaint might just be par for the course with hoods.

Ease of use: Very good. Clips on easily, comes off easily. Opens without effort via a slight fingernail slot at the bottom. If you have very short fingernails, might be an issue. Can be removed with the ground glass assembly if you're using a roll film back or similar.

Looks: Snazzy! Same texture as the CF cover that comes with the camera, but looks like it was designed to be there, instead of dropped on at the last minute.

Loupe: Yes, but no. Because it's designed as a ground glass cover, the opening is just a hair larger than 4x5. I have a relatively large, medium length loupe (2" square, 2.5" high) and somewhat largish hands. If the loupe were slightly longer, or smaller, it would be much easier to work with but as it is, it's slightly awkward to use. I wind up holding the loupe against the glass with my thumb and forefinger inside the hood area, which works, but feels silly. I think I can print another base for the loupe, and get another half inch height and still be able to focus, so I may try that.

I have been able to use the camera in the field without a dark cloth, so that's a win. It does protect the ground glass without being as fiddly as the stock cover (which works, but I frequently wind up dropping it). I bought the cover and the loupe separately, without considering the combination, so that may be on me.

At least a 7/10, but I might be overly critical. Or... underly(?) critical. I lack experience to be certain. For now, though, it stays on the camera, and if it ever stops raining every day, I'll get more practice with it.

Any ideas for 2x3 Ebony? Has anyone tried the magnifiers for DSLR screens although maybe they would be a bit odd for a view camera?

As far as I know the only reflex viewer for 2x3 view cameras is Sinar's. Emmanuel Bigler has one, let me play with it. The view is lovely.

Cambo makes an inline viewer that fits 2x3 Graflok backs. SF-320. I have one, like it very much. But no magnification.

Quote Originally Posted by GG12 View Post
    Any ideas for 2x3 Ebony? Has anyone tried the magnifiers for DSLR screens although maybe they would be a bit odd for a view camera?
    I have a thing about Plaubel Peco Profias. They make small bag bellows I have picked some up cheap, like thirty bucks each.

Put a small monocular (Sinar Norma is great but prolly big for a 2x3) and it makes a mono mag that's circular and small and also cheap.

Marry them together and you've got it. I have Mono Mags with baggy bellows on every LF camera in the studio. Once you get used to them they are great. You rock back and forth until the GG is sharp to your eye, then do your viewing. Something to get used to.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain