Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me pick a couple of lenses for Sinar Norma please please

Help me pick a couple of lenses for Sinar Norma please please

So I seemingly ignored everyone's advice on this forum (stick with medium format they told me) and bought a Sinar Norma. The camera comes with a single lens board, but no lenses. I guess all I need is some film backs and lens to start shooting.

But I have no idea where to begin. I tried to do some research over the last couple of nights, but I am completely burnt out with the gear hunt over the last couple of months (enlarging equipment, LF camera and now lenses). My brain just can't seem to filter through the vast amount of information and the multitude of options and permutations to consider in the LF field. I am also surprised by the price of some of the lens offerings as I was under the impression that LF lens can be had for reasonable money.

Anyway, can anyone suggest 2-3 lenses that can be had for reasonable money that I can acquire in the EU (preferably). I would like to mainly shoot environmental portraits and so a suitable focal length range suggestion would be appreciated. Also, why are LF lenses so slow? It will take a very long focal length to achieve a shallow depth of field, if one is need, isn't it? The other relevant consideration is that I don't think I need a super sharp lens. I certainly don't want to pay a huge premium for it Is it possible to put a kit together for £150-200 per lens and get something decent?

Thank you for listening.

Foamer

Re: Help me pick a couple of lenses for Sinar Norma please please

I suggest an older 240mm lens such as Dagor or Tessar for portraits, and a 135mm as your second.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Not what you want to be told.

I just took a look on ebay.co.uk. LF lenses located in the EU are generally too expensive for you. Look for Fujinon LF lenses offered there and on ebay.com by sellers in Japan. They're reasonably priced and better than good enough.

None of us can tell you which focal lengths you'll find useful. Solve that problem yourself.

That said, since you're swamped with and confused by alternatives, consider 90 mm (f/8ers are less expensive and lighter than faster lenses), 150/5.6 (normal focal length), and 210/5.6 (heavy, commonly used "longer than normal"). All Fujinons.

Foamer

Forgot to mention that as format size increases, lens DoF decreases. An f5.6 on 4x5 will perform similar to f2.8 on 35mm. On an 8x10 f5.6 has razor thin DoF.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria

Sinar Norma Price List July 1966 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Sinar Norma Price List July 1966 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

On page 2 of this price list (1966) are the lenses Sinar sold for use with the Norma.
    You might want to consider these they are not always expensive.

For 200 Euros each you should not have a problem with most of these. You may want to expand your search to a global one. Perhaps a 90mm a 150mm and a 210mm.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    Forgot to mention that as format size increases, lens DoF decreases. An f5.6 on 4x5 will perform similar to f2.8 on 35mm. On an 8x10 f5.6 has razor thin DoF.

Kent in SD
    Oh! Thank you for clarifying that. I always thought that depth of field is a function of the focal length and aperture size, and that the reason people talk about shallower depth of field on larger formats is that you get the same field of view from a longer lens. Good to know I don't have to chase super fast lenses then.

I suggest an older 240mm lens such as Dagor or Tessar for portraits, and a 135mm as your second.
    Thanks. I see Dagor's going for £800 to £200. So very confusing. I'll read into a bit more to see whether I am looking at the right thing. And I'll start off with those two focal length (or maybe one, and pick the rest up if I am ever in Japan).

Not what you want to be told.

I just took a look on ebay.co.uk. LF lenses located in the EU are generally too expensive for you. Look for Fujinon LF lenses offered there and on ebay.com by sellers in Japan. They're reasonably priced and better than good enough.

None of us can tell you which focal lengths you'll find useful. Solve that problem yourself.

That said, since you're swamped with and confused by alternatives, consider 90 mm (f/8ers are less expensive and lighter than faster lenses), 150/5.6 (normal focal length), and 210/5.6 (heavy, commonly used "longer than normal"). All Fujinons.
    Thanks Dan. Do you think that is a function of lenses being too expensive in EU/UK when compared to US/Japan or just a matter of what is available this very moment. It is odd that even German lenses are cheaper in Japan than in Europe. Maybe what I need to do is pick up one lens and use it for now, and I am every in Japan or the US complete my set.

I know I was asking too by asking that the forum picks a focal length and lens for me. But I guess my issue is that I have not done LF before, or environmental portraits and I don't know what is ideal, specially with the likely cropping. Perhaps a standard lens (135-150) to start off with is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    On page 2 of this price list (1966) are the lenses Sinar sold for use with the Norma.
    You might want to consider these they are not always expensive.

For 200 Euros each you should not have a problem with most of these. You may want to expand your search to a global one.
    Brilliant! Thanks. Is there anything that I need to look out for other than whether there is a shutter included. If it is working and if there is any damage, etc to to the lens? I understand Sinar takes its own lens board so presumably I need to acquire these separately based on shutter type. I also know some things about image circle - won't want anything too wide as unlikely to use huge amounts of movement and will never use anything bigger than 4x5.

Is there anything else specific to LF that I need to be aware of? I read somewhere that people effectively never shoot at below 16 aperture. But I never understood why. Is that correct? And if so, are the wider lenses only useful for focusing?

“. . . Oh! Thank you for clarifying that. I always thought that depth of field is a function of the focal length and aperture size, and that the reason people talk about shallower depth of field on larger formats is that you get the same field of view from a longer lens. Good to know I don't have to chase super fast lenses then.“

Depth of field I’d dependent on focal length, aperture, circle of confusion and final image size only. It has nothing to do with film size.
    If you set up 3 cameras at a scene and take a picture with each one, A 35mm, a 45 and an 810, at the same aperture, focused at the same spot and examine the film with a good loupe the depth of field, in front and behind the spot focused on, will Be exactly the same.

The 150mm f5.6 Chrome Symmar would be authentic vintage on the Norma, it needs a lensboard with a #0 hole.

With Norma you can buy a Norma Shutter and you don't need a shutter on each lens. You can buy barrel lenses which can found at good prices.

I have always used F22 as a minimum aperture with 4x5 Normas. Smaller than that and diffraction will slightly degrade the overall resolution.

I use both 9x12cm and 4x5" in my Normas. I would find Graphic or Lisco holders and the film of required size. And a cable release and dark cloth.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Foamer

You will probably want something 210mm to 300mm for portrait. Divide by 3 to get a rough 35mm camera equivalent. Thus, 150mm is equivalent to 50mm Nikon, and a 240mm on 4x5 equivalent to 80mm, roughly.

Kent in
    In contento ed allegria