Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help me pick a couple of lenses for Sinar Norma please please

Re: Help me pick a couple of lenses for Sinar Norma please please

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Plume View Post
    I'm here in the UK and am very happy to assist

regards

andrew
    Thanks Andrew! Do you have a camera store or were you going to give me suggestions?

Noted that environmental portrait is the image-print goal. Typically environmental portraits would involve a medium wide focal length lens. In the world of 4x5, typical medium wide focal length would be 110mm to 150mm with 135mm being some where in the middle of all this.

Given that requirement, get a modern 135mm f5.6 or 150mm f5.6 (often considered a "normal" focal length lens for 45x) Plasmat with a proven and know good shutter from schneider-Fujinon-Rodenstock-Nikon. The 135mm f5.6 from any of these four will do more than good enough for now. Cosmetically ugly but fully good optics and shutter are often a bargain over a pretty example. Reason for the modern lens, you're on a learning curve which means tolerance for problems with shutter and other related is going to greatly complete the learning process and will be a barrier to going up the learning curve.

~Skip all that hardware hunting, get one lens, good film holders, film and all required LF accessories (dark cloth, light meter, tripos and ...) burn film.~

This is THE only way, to learn by doing. Hunting for hardware is not going to produce any images or prints. Learning to use a view camera and producing images is the goal, all that gear hunting is beyond counter-productive and not worth obsessing over.

Once you're comfy with that one lens, that is when to consider another focal length.

If out of focus rendition is of interest, that would typically involve a longer than normal focal length lens. Once you're up on the view camera learning curve and comfy with that initial lens and image making process, consider adding a longer focal length lens to achieve what is the common out of focus image rendition. Suggest something like a 240mm, 300mm f4.5 Schneider Xenar since you're in the EU as they are common enough and not too costly. Know there are LOTs of f4.5 Tessar formula (Xenar is one of many) lenses made made over the many decades of view camera production. Out of focus or what is perceived to be in-focus with sheet film formats (4x5 and larger) are not the same as smaller film formats. This aspect of lens image rendition is not uniform based on f-stop alone, focal length and film format size are two significant factors on out of focus impressions based on lens f-stop.

What about films to be used, film processing and image-print making?

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Bobab View Post

bought a Sinar Norma. The camera comes with a single lens board, but no lenses. I guess all I need is some film backs and lens to start shooting.

But I have no idea where to begin. I tried to do some research over the last couple of nights, but I am completely burnt out with the gear hunt over the last couple of months (enlarging equipment, LF camera and now lenses). My brain just can't seem to filter through the vast amount of information and the multitude of options and permutations to consider in the LF field. I am also surprised by the price of some of the lens offerings as I was under the impression that LF lens can be had for reasonable money.

Anyway, can anyone suggest 2-3 lenses that can be had for reasonable money that I can acquire in the EU (preferably).

I would like to mainly shoot environmental portraits and so a suitable focal length range suggestion would be appreciated.

Also, why are LF lenses so slow? It will take a very long focal length to achieve a shallow depth of field, if one is need, isn't it? The other relevant consideration is that I don't think I need a super sharp lens.

I certainly don't want to pay a huge premium for it Is it possible to put a kit together for £150-200 per lens and get something decent?

Thank you for listening.

What would happen if I want to buy a field camera at some point in the future? Is it relatively easy or even possible to get shutters for the barrel lenses?

Any reason for the Graphic and Lisco recommendations? Just wondering because there seems to be a few Fidelities and Toyos for sale in good condition.
    The Norma Shutter is an option to be aware of up front, maybe just go with a good working 150mm lens is shutter for now to get started. If you decide further down the road you can add the Norma Shutter (or any other of the humungeous number of parts available). But perhaps not for now , you need time and experience shooting and then add the Norma accessories you might need. You will know what you need by using the camera and I do suggest studying the instruction book. Many users of field cameras have created adapters for using the Sinar shutters on wooden cameras. Where there is a will there is a way. Perhaps buying from a local store that allows returns is a good way to make sure that's what you want to get started.

As stated above, What about films to be used, film processing and image-print making? Those are important considerations.

I suggest keeping it simple. The 150mm f5.6 chrome Schneider Symmar would be my choice, but that's just me. There are a plethora of 150s available that will fit with the right lens sized board.

Fidelities are good too, as are Toyos, and the Liscos and Graphics and some others. Condition and price are the criteria.

Take copious notes. Expect to make mistakes, that is how you learn what works and what to watch out for.

And enjoy the process!
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Exploring Large Format Exploring Large Format's Avatar

Bobab, another LF beginner here.

I started with a field camera, migrating now to Norma for studio. The Norma is such a gem, eh?

I went with a 150mm and 210mm (each within your price range), then impulse bought a 250mm Rodenstock Imagon. But so many great choices of lenses. One day, i will buy a Sinar shutter. But for now, lenses in all-black (mostly), working Copal shutters allows me to keep things simple as i get used to many new tools.

Just about everything I've learned is from this Forum or books and articles suggested here. Pretty much every question you have has multiple answers and opinions; i often google search topic then add "Large Format Photography Forum" to my search. Find that easier than using forum search.

The other tip i intended to follow but ignored at my peril too many times: Take notes of every exposure! This really helps with your thinking on lens needs and so much more. Allows me to integrate my book knowledge--what i learn here and elsewhere--with my practice with cameras.

Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

When I was a student at RIT in the mis 1970s, the basic 4x5 view camera outfit, that we signed out, consisted of Calumet monorail camera and one lens... a 210mm Symmar.

don't forget about this chart Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lense to film size chart.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	140.1 KB 
ID:	205090

Thanks again. I am definitely tired of equipment hunting (It hasn't just been the camera. It's been developing equipment, paper, chemicals, enlarger, scanning setup, printer etc). I will go with a 135 or 150 lens as suggested and add later if needed.

In terms of film, I don't think I can afford to shoot colour, so will probably keep the LF for B&W for now. The Fomapan 100 was the one I had in mind. I will develop my own film. Need to get a tank for 4x5 - was thinking the Jobo). Using the Moersch Eco film developer. I don't see myself getting a 4x5 enlarger though. Just don't have the space for it. At the moment looking for a Durst m605/m670 to use for both medium format, and as a copystand to do DSLR scans of the 4x5 Negs. Take multiple shots and stitch. Still looking into my options for negative holders and lightbox setup for the DSLR scanner. Maybe some contact printing, but I imagine 4x5 is too small for great contact printing. Probably print on a canon pro 100 if I can find one used at a good price.

The Norma still hasn't arrived yet. I think tomorrow is the day. Very excited.

Thanks for everyone. This has been all very helpful.

Alex, do you have any suggestions for good shops in the UK for fair priced large format gear? I have noticed that pricing can be quite variable.
    I normally look at Ffordes who are in Beauly near Inverness. I check their website. I also check on eBay UK.
    Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Have I understood correctly that something like this would need a sinar shutter?

https://kamerastore.com/product/rode...BoCYAIQAvD_BwE

Yes it will, unless you opt for the other alternative i.e. by removing the lens cap

And I've just sent two Private Messages

regards

Andrew