Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Deardorff S11 11x14 on an 8x10 Ansco Stand?

Re: Deardorff S11 11x14 on an 8x10 Ansco Stand?

Sorry. I'm trying to remember, but I haven't been able to get back to my office for about 4 months. We need special permission to enter the building. Right, the Century has a coil spring where the tension can be changed a bit according to the weight. One simply winds the coil tighter or looser to change tension. The stand you show has a different system, more like the one on some enlargers. Hopefully, it can deal with the weight of the Deardorff.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Thx.
    I've been having trouble ID'ing the stand. None of the Ansco stands I see online have those spiring housings on the bottom left and right sides.

Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Sorry. I'm trying to remember, but I haven't been able to get back to my office for about 4 months. We need special permission to enter the building. Right, the Century has a coil spring where the tension can be changed a bit according to the weight. One simply winds the coil tighter or looser to change tension. The Agfa has a different system, more like the one on some enlargers. Hopefully, it can deal with the weight of the Deardorff.

Ok, looks like an Ansco No. 5 based on a photo from a 1931 catalog.

However, I see other pictures of No. 5 stands without the side coils as pictures in the second picture below (which I think is from 1930). Maybe they modified the design to add the coils in 1931.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ansco-stand.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	186.8 KB 
ID:	205085Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ansco-standA.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	205088

Quote Originally Posted by Dustyman View Post
    Thx.
    I've been having trouble ID'ing the stand. None of the Ansco stands I see online have those spiring housings on the bottom left and right sides.

Anyone?
    Last edited by Dustyman; 23-Jun-2020 at 12:19. Reason: new info

I don't think my No. 5 stand has the side coils.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phcwh8wqeC8&t=11s
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I’m wondering if Ansco had to modify their spring design because it initially was too similar to the Century design. An infringement.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    I don't think my No. 5 stand has the side coils.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phcwh8wqeC8&t=11s

Quote Originally Posted by ghostcount View Post
    My stand bipost hits the front controls preventing it from racking inward. The front platform of the stand has a lip preventing the camera from sliding forward when using the rear platform crank tilt. However, it also prevents the front rack from racking forward. Essentially the front rack knobs are locked into place. The rear rack knobs work fine all the way to the bipost. The rear and center rack knobs are behind the bipost so they can be rack out to the rear. All this will limit your short lens selection but I am able to squeeze my 13” lens for portrait at about 1:4 magnification. My longest lens is 480mm so have no problems at portrait distance.

Basically, the bipost distance is smaller than the max width of the S11

As an engineer, I present the problem and a potential solution.

DURHAND 300 lbs Hydraulic Motorcycle Scissor Jack Lift Foot Step Wheels for Small Dirt Bikes https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MXFZYMX..._Yuy8Eb2XWSCXT

Adjustable Height: 13.75" - 35.5"
    Still can't invert the camera like the Deardorff stand

Quote Originally Posted by ghostcount View Post
    Ahhh…. Thanks Peter!

I just noticed there are receiving threads on the bottom of the S11 (1/4-20 maybe). I will make a longer platform to give me more breathing room on the front and secure the camera through those threads.

@ Dustyman - I hope your stand can accommodate the S11. They are more functional than the scissor jack for sure.
    My Deardorff has 3/8" threads on camera. The OEM bolts on the camera stand were designed to be 3/8 on the camera side and 1/4 20 on the knob side. A metal plate kept the bolt secured. The knob on the 1/4 end kept the bolt from passing through the base of the stand. There's 3 mounting points on the camera but I am using only the front and rear.

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    Still can't invert the camera like the Deardorff stand
    I've gotten use to seeing images on the ground glass upside down so no need to flip it.
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    My Deardorff has 3/8" threads on camera. The OEM bolts on the camera stand were designed to be 3/8 on the camera side and 1/4 20 on the knob side. A metal plate kept the bolt secured. The knob on the 1/4 end kept the bolt from passing through the base of the stand. There's 3 mounting points on the camera but I am using only the front and rear.
    Good info. Thank you!!!
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy