Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deardorff S11 11x14 on an 8x10 Ansco Stand?

Deardorff S11 11x14 on an 8x10 Ansco Stand?

I have a Deardorff S11 that needs a stand and I am in a position to purchase a reasonably priced Ansco studio stand. The stand is made for an 8x10 studio camera, much like the Century Master Studio Camera stand. The question is; will the S11 fit and, if so, can it sustain the weight?

Anyone have experience?

Thank you.

Re: Deardorff S11 11x14 on an 8x10 Ansco Stand?

I have an s11 stand, but no camera, although I have used one. I also have an Agfa studio 8x10 and stand. In my opinion the S11 would be too much for the stand. The S11 stand is a monster for a good reason. Century made a bigger stand for their 11x14. It would likely work.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I've got that set up. The front controls gets in the way of the bipost, especially when using short lens. Weight is not an issue.
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

Thanks for this info. That’s what I suspected. Does the post make it impossible or is it merely an inconvenience? In other words do the controls actually hit the post and prevent extension? Or, does it clear it, but with little room for your fingers to turn the wheel? I could live with that.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostcount View Post
    I've got that set up. The front controls gets in the way of the bipost, especially when using short lens. Weight is not an issue.

there is a little more than 24" between posts

one advantage to the big stand is the platform will rotate to any angle and upside down, so it shoots almost at floor
    Tin Can

Thx
    24" between posts refers to the original Deardorff stand, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    there is a little more than 24" between posts

one advantage to the big stand is the platform will rotate to any angle and upside down, so it shoots almost at floor

Quote Originally Posted by Dustyman View Post
    I have a Deardorff S11 that needs a stand and I am in a position to purchase a reasonably priced Ansco studio stand. The stand is made for an 8x10 studio camera, much like the Century Master Studio Camera stand. The question is; will the S11 fit and, if so, can it sustain the weight?

Anyone have experience?

Thank you.
    Will you post a couple pictures of your camera?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeR001.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	205062

I'd like to keep this post on topic. What I'd like to specifically know is if the posts of the Ansco stand are simply too narrow to operate the camera. Do the camera's side knobs actually hit the posts or do they just barely squeak through? Is it simply an inconvenience?

In other words, do the camera's control knobs actually hit the posts and prevent extension/contraction? Or, does it barely clear them, with very little room for your fingers to turn the wheel? If so I'd imagine that you'd have to begin turning the knobs from one side of the posts and then continue turning from the other side in order to move them beyond the posts.
    @ghostcount?

Thanks for the input, appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustyman View Post
    I'd like to keep this post on topic. What I'd like to specifically know is if the posts of the Ansco stand are simply too narrow to operate the camera. Do the camera's side knobs actually hit the posts or do they just barely squeak through? Is it simply an inconvenience?

In other words, do the camera's control knobs actually hit the posts and prevent extension/contraction? Or, does it barely clear them, with very little room for your fingers to turn the wheel? If so I'd imagine that you'd have to begin turning the knobs from one side of the posts and then continue turning from the other side in order to move them beyond the posts.
    @ghostcount?

Thanks for the input, appreciated.
    My stand bipost hits the front controls preventing it from racking inward. The front platform of the stand has a lip preventing the camera from sliding forward when using the rear platform crank tilt. However, it also prevents the front rack from racking forward. Essentially the front rack knobs are locked into place. The rear rack knobs work fine all the way to the bipost. The rear and center rack knobs are behind the bipost so they can be rack out to the rear. All this will limit your short lens selection but I am able to squeeze my 13” lens for portrait at about 1:4 magnification. My longest lens is 480mm so have no problems at portrait distance.

Basically, the bipost distance is smaller than the max width of the S11

As an engineer, I present the problem and a potential solution.

DURHAND 300 lbs Hydraulic Motorcycle Scissor Jack Lift Foot Step Wheels for Small Dirt Bikes https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MXFZYMX..._Yuy8Eb2XWSCXT

Adjustable Height: 13.75" - 35.5"
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy