Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deardorff S11 11x14 on an 8x10 Ansco Stand?

Re: Deardorff S11 11x14 on an 8x10 Ansco Stand?

Thx for this, it's great information. Any chance of including a picture showing the position of the front frame in relation to the posts? And a shot showing the camera situated on the stand overall?

From what I gather, the front frame is positioned behind the posts and can't be made to go further out, but there is complete usage of the rear extension. I will be shooting 8x10 using the reducing back, so I think I'll have plenty of extension with just the rear extension. I generally use lenses from 250mm through 420mm.

The scissor jack looks great... if it only had a tiltable platform!

Quote Originally Posted by ghostcount View Post
    My stand bipost hits the front controls preventing it from racking inward. The front platform of the stand has a lip preventing the camera from sliding forward when using the rear platform crank tilt. However, it also prevents the front rack from racking forward. Essentially the front rack knobs are locked into place. The rear rack knobs work fine all the way to the bipost. The rear and center rack knobs are behind the bipost so they can be rack out to the rear. All this will limit your short lens selection but I am able to squeeze my 13” lens for portrait at about 1:4 magnification. My longest lens is 480mm so have no problems at portrait distance.

Basically, the bipost distance is smaller than the max width of the S11

As an engineer, I present the problem and a potential solution.

DURHAND 300 lbs Hydraulic Motorcycle Scissor Jack Lift Foot Step Wheels for Small Dirt Bikes https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MXFZYMX..._Yuy8Eb2XWSCXT

Adjustable Height: 13.75" - 35.5"

I was thinking about the tilt option to with the jack. It will depend if you actually use it in practice - I’ve not yet seen it’s use in mine.

You can certainly locate all the rack knobs behind the bipost as shown here,

I have mine in front because the bipost gets in the way when I operate my packard shutter - I'm clumsy.

Be aware that some stands are not as wide so you really need to measure the bipost distance and the distance between the knobs.

Here’s what mine looks like.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	70A4F2ED-B6F2-4DCF-BDED-50301EDB66EA.jpeg 
Views:	9 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	205076

Name:	2C8E4D5A-47DF-4559-A383-279B4E1FDAEF.jpeg 
Views:	6 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	205077
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

I don't have access to my Agfa stand currently. It's in my office, which is in a quarantined building.... But the front stop on the stand bed should be easy to remove. It's probably held in place by 2 wood screws. You could drill through the stand platform to bolt the S11 to the stand, which would keep it from sliding. You could then put the camera a bit forward. Not only would this make getting at the front knobs easier, it would also put more of the weight of the camera forward, which is a good thing when overloading the stand.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    I don't have access to my Agfa stand currently. It's in my office, which is in a quarantined building.... But the front stop on the stand bed should be easy to remove. It's probably held in place by 2 wood screws. You could drill through the stand platform to bold the S11 to the stand, which would keep it from sliding. You could then put the camera a bit forward. Not only would this make getting at the front knobs easier, it would also put more of the weight of the camera forward, which is a good thing when overloading the stand.
    Ahhh…. Thanks Peter!

I just noticed there are receiving threads on the bottom of the S11 (1/4-20 maybe). I will make a longer platform to give me more breathing room on the front and secure the camera through those threads.

@ Dustyman - I hope your stand can accommodate the S11. They are more functional than the scissor jack for sure.
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

Ideally you want to balance the weight on the pivot point of the stand, and then move the camera back just an inch or two, so that a bit of weight is on the back. That would take excess weight off of the threads of the tilting mechanism. I can't remember about the Agfa, but my Century Centennial stand just used a threaded rod, and over time it wore down, leading to problems. I replaced it with an ACME rod and nut, but I was only able to do that with the help of a machinist.
    Last edited by Peter De Smidt; 23-Jun-2020 at 11:36.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Thanks for these helpful pictures. I believe I can make it work.
    I think this thread will be helpful to others in the future as well.

Terrific info, Peter. I'll eventually make a longer platform from 1" plywood. and bolt it from below.

And here's a pic of the stand I'll be picking up on Friday. A two hour drive each way, but I think it will work out just fine.

Name:	image3.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	205080

Looks good! I prefer my Agfa stand to my Centennial one.

Thx Peter!
    Can you possibly ID this particular stand? I see that it has springs (I assume) on the bottom of the posts. They protrude on each side. This is unlike my Century stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Looks good! I prefer my Agfa stand to my Centennial one.