Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the obsession with analogue gearing an obstacle to art?

Re: Is the obsession with analogue gearing an obstacle to art?

a final thought, what is art anyway?

It's a mark we were here, a very old tool

The World's Oldest Known Drawing Is a 73,000-Year-Old Hashtag

many living things leave a mark

even Covid which is not considered alive...
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    If you are spending half your time thinking about developers and chemicals — as well as your comment about not having shot film for long —, then that indicates to me you are still on a learning curve and have not yet reached that first zen plateau where the tools you have at yiur disposal become an extension of yourself allowing you to focus on the art.

All artists go through this, even digital. Keep at it, learn your tools (the film, the camera, the chemicals). Try sticking to one set of tools — perhaps one general purpose developer to address your main stated concern, learn it well... like, using-it-for-years well. at some point that will “get out of the way” of your creative process and you will not worry about competing with digital.

We’ve all been there at some point and for our own reasons. All artists have, too. The oil painter must learn to use the brush and paint without thought.

Remember too: 100s of shots = a few good images. A roll of 35mm = a few good images. A roll of 120 = a few good images. An outing with a few Large format holders = A few good images at a resolution that will blow you away. Try them all, pick the process that you enjoy the most. Then there is a lifetime of alternative processes.
    I concur 100% with every part of Jason's quote above. If you want a few images that will blow you away large format will be a good vehicle for you. I'm making silver gelatin 4x5 contact prints and they are lovely to me and jewel-like. Then I scan the contact print

Garden of the Gods 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

4x5 Sinar Norma 90mm Sinar Super Angulon HP5 in PMK+ contact print on Promaster VC RC. My first attempt at split printing. Multigrade dev
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    I apologize, I did not want to diminish you in any way. But I guess I do keep my answers to a minimum and I am happy that several others have expanded on the essence of what I was trying to say, in a more explanatory way. I still feel that your Original post, if it says what you mean, precludes you from getting into film photography in a meaningful way. Perhaps however that post was just your way of asking for other viewpoints without having, already, made up your mind. We all learn differently.
    One does have to accept the limitations of a particular workflow. If you are always thinking that a different workflow will get you to where you want to be, then you won't be a happy camper. Of course you can get the advantages of both techniques by scanning your negatives; As always the flip side is that you get the disadvantage of both as well.
    I will happily look forward to your images.

Bill "Thank You Andrew" Cowan
    Thanks indeed Bill, really appreciated

best

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    If you are spending half your time thinking about developers and chemicals — as well as your comment about not having shot film for long —, then that indicates to me you are still on a learning curve and have not yet reached that first zen plateau where the tools you have at yiur disposal become an extension of yourself allowing you to focus on the art.

All artists go through this, even digital. Keep at it, learn your tools (the film, the camera, the chemicals). Try sticking to one set of tools — perhaps one general purpose developer to address your main stated concern, learn it well... like, using-it-for-years well. at some point that will “get out of the way” of your creative process and you will not worry about competing with digital.

We’ve all been there at some point and for our own reasons. All artists have, too. The oil painter must learn to use the brush and paint without thought.

Remember too: 100s of shots = a few good images. A roll of 35mm = a few good images. A roll of 120 = a few good images. An outing with a few Large format holders = A few good images at a resolution that will blow you away. Try them all, pick the process that you enjoy the most. Then there is a lifetime of alternative processes.
    This is a really good post Jason, thx indeed

best

Andrew

Daniel that's stunning...and a perfect use of PMK!

Thanks John

I have about 90 negatives from a month long camper trip to all over Colorado made in fall 1992

This one is a keeper but I have a lot more to reprint when I have time
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Bobab View Post
    I like the process. Far more than digital. Though I have to admit that developing can be tedious. As can dealing with all the chemicals and equipment needed to develop and print. My point was that while I enjoy the process of shooting analogue considerably more than I ever enjoyed digital, I think that it makes it harder for one to develop ones's unique vision and to produce true art.
    Is that you again, Stone III?
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

I think the question originally posed combines at least two issues: first the argument that arose simultaneously with the invention of photography, "is photography an art or a craft?" and secondly, "what is art."

The "what is art" part can. for the sake of this discussion, be ignored. Given that one of the most recognized works of art is Duchamps's urinal, anything we want to think of as art IS art. So the use of film and a large format camera has nothing to do with whether the end product is art. I think we get further if we substitute the ideas of "creativity" or "expressing the photographer's idea."

Many of the posts deal with chemicals, equipment, or printing. These are all elements of craft. (Personally, although thankfully others always 'correct me', I think of myself as a good craftsman rather than as an artist.) Many times (and many threads) answer the question of why do we enjoy LF photography by saying "we enjoy the process" which to me indicates the craft side of the equation more than the creative side. Think of how many well-crafted, but ultimately dull, images we all make.

So, going back to the OP's comment, I tend to agree that digital capture (or film scanning) and PhotoShop allow for greater creativity, and ultimately more degrees of freedom in expressing an idea. This isn't a question of being familiar with the entire film exposure, development, and printing process, it is a question of degrees of creativity allowed. The digital world simply lets you do more with an image in terms of expressing feelings or concepts. So while I love the craft of LF photography, the process, and since some of my prints end up hanging in exhibitions, they are by definition "art," I do think that our love of LF does in some ways limit our ability to fully engage our artistic natures.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lewin View Post

So, going back to the OP's comment, I tend to agree that digital capture (or film scanning) and PhotoShop allow for greater creativity, and ultimately more degrees of freedom in expressing an idea.
    Peter, there is truth to this. The surrealistic work of Jerry Uelsmann comes to mind, done the hard way in a darkroom, before the invention of PhotoShop. And now we have the work of Pedro Meyer cited by the OP, who has used the tools of PhotoShop for his surrealistic offerings. Surely greater freedom.

I find the process is like dancing, that is to let your partner lead, you follow, and it will take you to places that both of you never thought you would go...

"Wet" processes seem to have a distinct "personality", but there are good and bad days, and sometimes those pesky planets have to align... ;-)

Steve K