Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the obsession with analogue gearing an obstacle to art?

Re: Is the obsession with analogue gearing an obstacle to art?

Sounds like you want to get really bigly good and digital fast at making super duper art; but still maintain permanent connection between that imprint and the moment that it captured.
    Get really good
    really fast and easy
    and chemically indexical
    Pick two

Mate

That's perhaps not a constructive/appropriate comment, 'cowanw' clearly has been doing something right on here judging by the number of his posts over the past thirteen/fourteen years......................

All I can usefully add is that the majority on here like to and enjoy encouraging those who are starting out in pursuit of making LF images, it takes a lot of time, year's that is.....................

regards

Andrew

Forget about being an artist. That's up to the viewer to decide, not you. Just shoot and enjoy what you're shooting. If you're not having fun, then use other equipment and processes.

Start out shooting pictures of family and make blowups. Frame them and give them as gifts. Your family will love you. You'll be appreciated. Your pictures will be hung on walls and sat on coffee tabletops. You will be getting oohs and ahhs and pats on the back. That will encourage you to go on to other things. Trust me. Getting thanks from family is better than getting "Nice shot" from people here you don't know.

I'd say over analyzing, meta-cognition, and excessive introspection is obsessing and making an obstacle to making art.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Plume View Post
    Mate

That's perhaps not a constructive/appropriate comment, 'cowanw' clearly has been doing something right on here judging by the number of his posts over the past thirteen/fourteen years......................

All I can usefully add is that the majority on here like to and enjoy encouraging those who are starting out in pursuit of making LF images, it takes a lot of time, year's that is.....................

regards

Andrew
    I am sorry, but I found his response somewhat mocking. Unnecessarily so. I have not gone through all of his previous post to get a deeper understanding which may have perhaps resulted in me taking a different interpretation. If I have misunderstood, and it was in fact a constructive comment put with wit, then I am sorry. There has been some very thoughtful and helpful responses to this thread, which I really appreciate. I tried to take the time to think about each individual one and respond. To then get another response like that from someone feels out of line to me.

People are pretty nice here. Andrew is the tops! Me, not so much. But you cannot control what people post. You want deep, meaningful answers. You may or may not get them....anywhere.

I have to say that I agree with Drew Wiley as regards ‘analogue photography’. What is that? It never existed before digital cameras were invented.
    I also agree with cowanw. If using film, and film equipment makes the process between idea and realisation too lengthy, then perhaps photography is not the best route to expressing your artistic vision.
    Many people enjoy the beauty of old, mechanical devices, but that doesn’t mean they have to use them for practical purposes. There are many who collect cameras, and never put a film through them.
    I also think it’s important to point out that many people using film equipment to produce their images aren’t obsessing about anything. They’re just choosing, and using the tools that suit their image making practice.
    Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Many thanks 'Bobab' and Garrett

Let's keep moving and work on all of our work, it has potential to be 'a great healer' in these pretty awful times

best regards to everyone

Andrew

I call it 'film photography.' It is somewhat complicated and can take years to master, so not for everyone.