Thread: Fold-out viewing hoods for Horseman monorail.

Fold-out viewing hoods for Horseman monorail.

I’m interested in trying a folding viewing hood on my Horseman L45 monorail camera. I’ve seen several Toyo versions for sale, and wondered if anyone knows if they will fit my camera. They appear to connect with two pegs on the short end mating with the glass screen frame. This allows the hood to hinge away from the glass when required. The Horseman frame looks like it is designed to hold a hood of this type, but I need to know if the Toyo, or some other make has the same dimensions. I haven’t seen any Horseman versions for sale.
    Any advice from people with experience of these things would be most welcome. I can use a dark cloth, but as anyone using hearing aids may know, it’s not ideal.
    Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Re: Fold-out viewing hoods for Horseman monorail.

ebay has them

try searching

horseman 4X5 hood

inventory changes, some here didn't like copies others did
    Tin Can

Toyo and Horseman cameras use exactly the same kind of folding hood. The only difference, as far as I can tell, is the Horseman hood has a rubber sheet with the name embossed, and the Toyo has a piece of leatherette. Let me know if you want one.

Both cameras can also share other viewing aids. Horseman 8x10 bellows have a Horseman/Sinar fitting at the front, and a Toyo or Cambo fitting at the rear.

Kumar

Thank you both for the replies. Listings for Horseman accessories are quite limited on eBay UK.
    I will pm you, Kumar regarding a Horseman version.
    Thanks,
    Alex.

FYI, my experience with the Horseman folding focus hood is as follows. In addition to having installed a Maxwell HI-LUX 4.7 Brilliant Matte screen (the version that preceded what Bill sells now), at focal lengths near "normal," i.e. 150mm, and shorter, it's necessary to use a lens of at least 5.6 maximum aperture for focusing to be practical in bright daylight. Anything slower -- like the f/9 process lenses -- and you'll be draping a cloth over the camera anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    FYI, my experience with the Horseman folding focus hood is as follows. In addition to having installed a Maxwell HI-LUX 4.7 Brilliant Matte screen (the version that preceded what Bill sells now), at focal lengths near "normal," i.e. 150mm, and shorter, it's necessary to use a lens of at least 5.6 maximum aperture for focusing to be practical in bright daylight. Anything slower -- like the f/9 process lenses -- and you'll be draping a cloth over the camera anyway.
    Thanks for sharing your practical advice. I had wondered about this issue. I use 150mm and 210mm lenses, and I think both are f5.6. I tend to work indoors, but will go out and about if I can manage without a dark cloth. I enjoy using the 4x5 camera, but problems associated with using a dark cloth have been putting me off, hence the reason I’m looking into alternative viewing aids. On one occasion I was in a parking space at a popular beauty spot. It was empty when I set up the camera. Whilst under the cloth I had switched off my hearing aids to get rid of the feedback. Unfortunately, I cracked my forehead off the end of the monorail. My immediate reaction was to utter a few expletives. I was more than slightly embarrassed when I emerged to find a bus load of tourists had arrived, and were all around me.
    Alex

Toyo also makes a balloon viewer that attaches the same way. I use one on my 45A. Looks like they are no longer made: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...sing_Hood.html You can probably find a used one. I bought mine used for around $100.