Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turner Reich Triple Conv. date..

Turner Reich Triple Conv. date..

OK, I just got my 'new' Gundlach Turner Reich Series II 5x7 Triple Convertible lens. Its 7 1/2, 12 and 15 inches. It's a real beauty. It's looks coated and in an Ilex No. 3 Acme shutter. The shutter does not have the bi-post flash socket but the single post locking one. The lens serial number is 213430. I have looked all over and can't seem to find any serial number dating information of these lenses. I even bought the Vade Mecum. Does anyone have any idea approximately when this was made? I am curious. Thank you! Robbie
    Last edited by Robbie Bedell; 21-Jun-2020 at 12:46.

Re: Turner Reich Triple Conv. date..

I have number 212716 in a Betax #4 shutter marked “11-46” on the back.

I'm not quite sure, but I believe Gundlach Optical survived into the mid-1950s. I should dig up my copy of Dr. Kingslake's history to see what he said. But if your lens is indeed coated, and the shutter has the 'ASA bayonet' flash connection, that should place it as post-WWII.

Quote Originally Posted by Whir-Click View Post
    I have number 212716 in a Betax #4 shutter marked “11-46” on the back. Might you have typed an extra digit in your serial number above?
    Oh Yeah...Thank you for pointing that out! I fixed it..

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    I'm not quite sure, but I believe Gundlach Optical survived into the mid-1950s. I should dig up my copy of Dr. Kingslake's history to see what he said. But if your lens is indeed coated, and the shutter has the 'ASA bayonet' flash connection, that should place it as post-WWII.
    Thank you Mark. Yes, I am sure it's coated as some of it appears to be slightly rubbed off..and what's there is plenty blue.

I had number 215036 for a time, also coated, in a very early Alphax #4 shutter that dated to ‘48 or ‘49.

I think 1947 is a reasonable estimate for your lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Whir-Click View Post
    I had number 215036 for a time, also coated, in a very early Alphax #4 shutter that dated to ‘48 or ‘49.

I think 1947 is a reasonable estimate for your lens.
    That seems about right. Thank you very much! I can't wait to use this lens...

My Popular Photography buying guide dated May 1950 shows the Turner-Reich available in focal lengths of 5, 6 1/4, 7 1/2, 8 1/2, 10 1/2, 12 and 15 inches. States "all air surfaces coated." Prices only shown for barrel mount, the 7 1/2 inch was $94.00. The next buying guide I have is for 1956, it doesn't show anything for Gundlach.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    I could be wrong, but some quick research suggests Burke and James bought Gundlach in the early 50's, re-named them Dynamic Optics Inc., which became D.O.Industries in the early '70's. Given this history, it's entirely possible that B&J also may have re-manufactured/ re-coated/ assembled into new shutters extant Gundlach optical blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by David Lindquist View Post
    My Popular Photography buying guide dated May 1950 shows the Turner-Reich available in focal lengths of 5, 6 1/4, 7 1/2, 8 1/2, 10 1/2, 12 and 15 inches. States "all air surfaces coated." Prices only shown for barrel mount, the 7 1/2 inch was $94.00. The next buying guide I have is for 1956, it doesn't show anything for Gundlach.

David
    If it was $94 back then without a shutter I did OK...for once. Thank you David!