Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dark slide for Toyo 810 film holder

Dark slide for Toyo 810 film holder

I have a broken dark slide, and looking for a spare one, but can not find any. Does the fidelity 810 dark slide work in toyo film holder?

Big Negs Rock!

Re: Dark slide for too 810 film holder

Be careful. Not all film slides fit all holders, even from the same manufacturer.
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

Is it cracked or is it completely broken?
    What is it made out of?
    A DIY repair or replacement may be possible---got pictures?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

It is cracked Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-06-20 at 10.00.30 AM.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	204939Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-06-20 at 10.00.11 AM.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	204940

You can order black vinyl or abs sheets off amazon and cut them to size. Make sure you get one of those materials, as others are not entirely opaque (you can see a flashlight shine through)
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

For the record, Fidelity slides will not fit Toyo holders and vice versa.

Kumar

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    You can order black vinyl or abs sheets off amazon and cut them to size. Make sure you get one of those materials, as others are not entirely opaque (you can see a flashlight shine through)
    Right. Even ABS sheets that look like they are entirely opaque when put into service for dark slides (ie pass the flashlight test with flying colors) turn out to be absolutely worthless. Been there and done that and will not do it again. Bottom line is that the propensity of light to finds its way to highly light sensitive sheet film is not to be taken lightly. There is no quick and easy solution for this problem. The film holder manufacturers have invested the time and resources in assuring the correct material is used for the task at hand. If you are not using black anodized aluminum sheet, get a Toyo replacement dark slide.
    Last edited by Michael Kadillak; 21-Jun-2020 at 18:04. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    Right. Even ABS sheets that look like they are entirely opaque when put into service for dark slides (ie pass the flashlight test with flying colors) turn out to be absolutely worthless. Been there and done that and will not do it again. Bottom line is that the propensity of light to finds its way to highly light sensitive sheet film is not to be taken lightly. There is no quick and easy solution for this problem. The film holder manufacturers have invested the time and resources in assuring the correct material is used for the tase at hand. If you are not using black anodized aluminum sheet, get a Toyo replacement dark slide.
    Agree 100%. A time ago replaced some 11x14 film holders with ABS dark slide sheets. Thickness was to spec and they looked really great but when used outdoors in the bright sunlight, they "fogged" the film. It was a very costly learning experience.

Re: Dark slide for Toyo 810 film holder

I've seen dents like that covered with gaffer's tape but I've never trusted them----I'd suspect the added thickness of tape might cause havoc with the velvet in the light trap.

I don't know if this would work or not. I've used it to repair broken plastic film holders with success, but not the dark slides.

Flatten out the dent in a dry press
    Mix a small amount of PC putty (2 part epoxy) with black enamel paint model to color and apply a thin coat to both sides with a spatula or putty knife.
    After drying, polish the repair down to the surrounding thickness---maybe 1000 grit wet or dry followed by a polishing compound of some sort, even toothpaste(?)

Like I said I don't know if it will work for your repair---I'm thinking the lack of flexibiity may be an issue---OTOH if you're going to replace it anyway. why not give it a go?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: Dark slide for Toyo 810 film holder

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post

Flatten out the dent in a dry press
    That is an interesting idea, I can give it a try. I have already ordered two replacement dark slides from Kumar.