Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Durst 138S - asking for detailed instructions

Andrew

Re: Durst 138S - asking for detailed instructions

Given the amount of disassembly here, it looks like you will need to tension the springs: be very careful doing this, because the springs are extremely powerful. Hopefully, you will have gotten this from the service manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    I'm not understanding it well what you say but I think it would be the counter, you have to press the pedal to insert the sleve in the column. Normal operation is that you press the foot pedal and it releases the clamp pressure so the table is free you move up and down. So as you tension the cable the clamp is openned, as the clamp is tensioned by another spring.

Buy exactly this, some 2 or 3 cans : https://interflon.com/us/products/in...-super-aerosol

Use it extensively in any friction surface, spray move the mechanisms a lot and and spray again and repeat a lot of times until no dirt fall down. Do that and you'll move all with a single finger, a joy.

Some enlargers are special, the 138 is one of those models that are true work horses.
    Thank you for the link I've been wondering what to lube it with (should I ever get it together) *g*

Quote Originally Posted by quine View Post
    Given the amount of disassembly here, it looks like you will need to tension the springs: be very careful doing this, because the springs are extremely powerful. Hopefully, you will have gotten this from the service manual.
    And that, exactly, is my worst nightmare I'll read the service manual a few times to thoroughly understand the process. Thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by movida View Post
    Thank you for the link I've been wondering what to lube it with (should I ever get it together) *g*
    I've used white lithium grease. Also I would not re-tension the spring except as a last resort. L

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    I've used white lithium grease. Also I would not re-tension the spring except as a last resort. L
    Luis, please try that interflon lubrication... first it removes the degradated pre-existing lubricant, I should have video showing how I move the 138 table up/down with a single finger, but anyway see how my Norma moves (the shift movement) with a 2kg lens, not disassembled to remove dirt, and still fine several year later.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125592...5/47092537484/

Other high tech lubricants may do the same, but they not easy to find, many sold as high tech aren't.

I'm with Pere here. In normal operation, the tension on the wire that connects the baseboard arm with the spring assembly and the clamped sleeve of the base column is controlled/released by pressing the foot pedal. While pressing down the foot pedal, you should therefore be able to move away the sleeve from the arm. This will possibly require some effort and the help of a second person. If you have the impression that activating the foot pedal does not release the tension on the wire properly, first check would be if there is too much slack in the bowden cable, and follow the instructions in the service manual p.18 for retensioning the bowden cable of the foot pedal.

In my understanding (I may be wrong) retensioning the column spring should only be necessary when the spring mechanism has been disassembled and I cannot (yet) see that this has been the case here.
    Last edited by mnemosyne; 22-Jun-2020 at 13:05.

Quote Originally Posted by mnemosyne View Post
    I'm with Pere here. In normal operation, the tension on the wire that connects the baseboard arm with the spring assembly and the clamped sleeve of the base column is controlled/released by pressing the foot pedal. While pressing down the foot pedal, you should therefore be able to move away the sleeve from the arm. This will possibly require some effort and the help of a second person. If you have the impression that activating the foot pedal does not release the tension on the wire properly, first check would be if there is too much slack in the bowden cable, and follow the instructions in the service manual p.18 for retensioning it.

In my understanding (I may be wrong) retensioning the spring should only be necessary when the spring mechanism has been disassembled and I cannot (yet) see that this has been the case here.

Thank you - that clears up one source of confusion - I didn't know how much force would be required and I was afraid I'd destroy something by exerting too much force in the wrong place. I'll re-read the manuals again at have at it later today.

Thanks again

Jan

Important, follow the safety rules in the service manual, the cable going to the pedal is not a hazard, but the cables supporting the table and the head have powerful springs that can be a hazard, the boxes containing those springs should not be openned. It is made clear in the service manual...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	138_spring.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	205013

Quote Originally Posted by movida View Post
    Thank you - that clears up one source of confusion - I didn't know how much force would be required and I was afraid I'd destroy something by exerting too much force in the wrong place. I'll re-read the manuals again at have at it later today.

Thanks again

Jan
    Pls post a photo of the enlarger once you have it together and let us know what you ended up doing. L

I have help coming this weekend - I couldn't manage to get the sleeve onto the column alone - this is quite the project *g*

Jan