Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Durst 138S - asking for detailed instructions

Re: Durst 138S - asking for detailed instructions

Quote Originally Posted by movida View Post
    Hi Mnemosyne: I looked for the durst-pro-usa-com (they're gone) manuals online and found nothing. Is there anywhere I could get a copy of it? My current roadblock is the carrying arm/clamping sleeve (photo and explanation above). I suspect they retensioned the Bowden cable, hope I'm wrong, in order to hold the sleeve tight to the carrying arm? I'll play with the footpedal again later and see if there is any reaction to it being depressed - I didn't notice anything happening when I tried that earlier. In your breakdown of the basic parts above, where is the clamping sleeve? Thanks for your help all of you - Jan
    I placed in a shared link with the service manuals, etc. https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...y0oEcUwGeu6X5q

The service manual is the one you need right now.

The 138 is a very well made machine !!! I love it !!!

These are our machines: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKF0Upt1vOg

I downloaded these, most I already had. One of the manuals is for the older L-138, not the L-138S. You can tell the difference because the "S" has a squarish bellows without much taper and a removable turret with a plastic knob in front of the lens stage to remove the tripla. This is knob #42 in this manual. Hopefully, the OP has one of those. L

Durst Laborator L138s Instructions.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    These were the first three hits from google, maybe there are more.
    IC, the OP said she got it from England, so the bulb should be 220V, right? Will the wiring work for 120v or will she need to re-wire it?

Luis

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    the "S" has the removable turret and has a plastic knob in front to remove the tripla.
    That bolt is a hazard , the first day I was thinking it was for tilting the board and the tripla with a rodagon 210 fell to the table...

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    That bolt is a hazard , the first day I was thinking it was for tilting the board and the tripla with a rodagon 210 fell to the table...
    Did you tighten it? It falls out if you don’t tighten it!

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    IC, the OP said she got it from England, so the bulb should be 220V, right? Will the wiring work for 120v or will she need to re-wire it?

Luis
    Not sure, but I'd re-wire it anyway. The insulation on existing wires might have deteriorated.

Thank you everyone for the manuals, I did have most of them but the 138SP/CLS1000 manual has some very useful images. My internet was down most of the day yesterday due to rain (live in the midwest they just **love** satellite internet in rural areas here). Anyway, I got the enlarger here in the US but it had been sold to an overseas buyer and was packed for shipment to them, then they decided they didn't want to pay the costs and cancelled. I bought it because I've always wanted an 138 and it was within reasonable (5 hours) driving distance so I did it.

My only issue at this point is I have to find how to release the clamping sleeve from the carrying arm - it is pulled tight to the arm by it's cord (there is no slack whatsoever), that's why I thought maybe the cord was tightened for shipment. There is no indication I can find in any of the manuals as to how/where to increase/decrease the cord tension or the path of the cord. I'm going reread the manuals and study it again today and hopefully have some success Everything else about setting it up is well explained.

Thanks again

Jan

There is no indication I can find in any of the manuals as to how/where to increase/decrease the cord tension
    I don't have that enlarger but I have looked at all the manuals. Isn't this the tension adjuster?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 8.45.52 AM.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	204977

Hi ic-racer: No, I think that's the pedal and that cable is nowhere near the clamping sleeve. I've just emailed a seller on ebay who has one listed and it looks just like mine - both pieces tightly together. I'm hoping that since he's obviously taken one off, he can tell me how to put one back on

Thanks for everyone's help and I'm going to post a photo of Big Bertha as soon as I have her functional

Jan

I'm thinking it's necessary to loosen the cable in order to attach the sleeve to the lower column after the support arm is attached?
    I'm not understanding it well what you say but I think it would be the counter, you have to press the pedal to insert the sleve in the column. Normal operation is that you press the foot pedal and it releases the clamp pressure so the table is free you move up and down. So as you tension the cable the clamp is openned, as the clamp is tensioned by another spring.

Buy exactly this, some 2 or 3 cans : https://interflon.com/us/products/in...-super-aerosol

Use it extensively in any friction surface, spray move the mechanisms a lot and and spray again and repeat a lot of times until no dirt fall down. Do that and you'll move all with a single finger, a joy.

Some enlargers are special, the 138 is one of those models that are true work horses.