Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ilford Multigrade 500H Fan Issue

Ilford Multigrade 500H Fan Issue

I have the Ilford 500H system on a D5-XL chassis and have been experiencing an issue with the fan continuously on.

Prior to this happening the fan would cycle off after a couple of minutes from either first turning on or exposure, now I hear a "Click" from what I would guess to be a micro switch or relay however the fan continues to run.

Any suggestions on what the problem is and how to fix it?

I have had the unit apart and can't seem to identify where the issue could be coming from.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3239.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	204881

Re: Ilford Multigrade 500H Fan Issue

The head receives its power directly from the power supply unit; there are no electronic components in the head. So the issue must be in the power supply or the control panel; I would suspect the power supply unit. That unit is very complex and the weakest part of the 500 system. I already burnt one....
    If the only issue is that the fan remains on continuously, you may consider just accepting that nuisance. Repairing the power supply unit will likely be a nightmare. When mine was broken I tried to find repair information and contacted Ilford directly but unfortunately, all such information and knowledge seems to be gone. I trashed my broken power supply and bought a complete new system.
    Last edited by Ron789; 19-Jun-2020 at 16:02.

It MAY have a failed 'Thermal Fuse Thermal Cutoff Limiter'

No idea what your gizmo uses, but all kinds and settings are common in a lot things. Very low cost

Usually they fail "OFF" not 'on' like you are experiencing

They can be pretty small too...
    Tin Can

I had a problem with the transformer on my 500H unit and I sent it to a guy on the *&@ay in New York who specializes in repairing these units and he fixed it for $280 and sent it back with me. I would bet he still is doing that gig.

I would go down that road again in a heartbeat as the complexity with working on something as sophisticated as this unit is a rather daunting task unless you are an electrical engineer with a lot of free time on your hands.
    Last edited by Michael Kadillak; 18-Jun-2020 at 17:26. Reason: typo

Tin Can

They're not too hard to fault-find on - if you are comfortable with following a schematic, have relevant tools, meters etc. Plugs and sockets tend to be the major failure points on MG500 heads (unless the controller pad keels over). The eight pin plug and socket connecting transformer to head would be my first point of investigation. Apart from a couple of components in the control pad, most of the electronic parts are fairly standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron789 View Post
    The head receives its power directly from the power supply unit; there are no electronic components in the head. So the issue must be in the power supply or the control panel; I would suspect the power supply unit. That unit is very complex and the weakest part of the 500 system. I already burnt one....
    If the only issue is that the fan remains on continuously, you may consider just accepting that nuisance. Repairing the power supply unit will likely be a nightmare. When mine was broken I tried to find repair information and contacted Ilford directly but unfortunately, all such information and knowledge seems to be gone. I trashed my broken power supply and bought a complete new system.
    I appreciate the advice and had the same experience with Ilford.
    I suppose I'll just have to turn up the music louder while printing.
    Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    It MAY have a failed 'Thermal Fuse Thermal Cutoff Limiter'

No idea what your gizmo uses, but all kinds and settings are common in a lot things. Very low cost

Usually they fail "OFF" not 'on' like you are experiencing

They can be pretty small too...
    Thanks, Tin Can, I'll research that further. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    I had a problem with the transformer on my 500H unit and I sent it to a guy on the *&@ay in New York who specializes in repairing these units and he fixed it for $280 and sent it back with me. I would bet he still is doing that gig.

I would go down that road again in a heartbeat as the complexity with working on something as sophisticated as this unit is a rather daunting task unless you are an electrical engineer with a lot of free time on your hands.
    Thanks, Michael, do you recall the repair source in NY?

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    They're not too hard to fault-find on - if you are comfortable with following a schematic, have relevant tools, meters etc. Plugs and sockets tend to be the major failure points on MG500 heads (unless the controller pad keels over). The eight pin plug and socket connecting transformer to head would be my first point of investigation. Apart from a couple of components in the control pad, most of the electronic parts are fairly standard.
    Thanks for the advice, interneg. I'll check into that.