Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ilex No. 3 Universal shutter retaining ring size..

Ilex No. 3 Universal shutter retaining ring size..

OK, I just made an impulse buy on a Turner Reich 6.8 Series II 5x7 triple convertible lens in a No. 3 Ilex Universal shutter. It will need a retaining ring or flange. In my search it looks as if it would be common 49mm ring. Does anyone know for sure? If I can find a reasonable used one I will be happy. I really don't want to shell out some $40 for a new one as I am a cheapskate..Please advise. Thank You! Robbie

Re: Ilex No. 3 Universal shutter retaining ring size..

Thank you! Yes, Grimes says the ring is 1.915 inches, or 48.6mm. I am wondering it a 49mm ring would work...I just don't want to spend a lot on a new one!

Eric Woodbury

I'm with you Robbie. I have a 180mm El Nikkor enlarging lens without the ring. I made one by cutting a soft plywood ring fastened to a lensboard that was about the proper inside diameter, then I forced the threads in, effectively using the lens to form the threads. Seems to work (for 15 years now). Other materials that might work would be nylon, delrin, teflon. YMMV.

Not sure what you mean by 49 mm ring but I expect its internal thread would have a metric pitch and so not fit the 40 threads per inch pitch on the No. 3 Ilex Acme and Universal shutters . I goggled "No. 3 Ilex Flange" which turned up one on eBay for $27.80 being sold buy someone in Tonopah NV. Can't imagine who that would be

Don't know if the prohibition on eBay links hold in this context. Let me know if you can't find this.

David

Thank you David. I did find that and am watching it and will probably get it. The guy does not take returns so I have to decide if it's the correct one! There is a Kodak Ilex and the pitch on those is different, apparently. Thanks again David!

Um, Robbie, I b'lieve that the EKCo Ilexes have different internal, not external threading. Could be mistaken.

Hi Dan, That's what I was thinking. I don't want to buy the one a the Bay unless I know if it is the Kodak or not. It would be a different ring, right..I am really getting confused now!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Um, Robbie, I b'lieve that the EKCo Ilexes have different internal, not external threading. Could be mistaken.
    That's what I was thinking but the SK Grimes website describes the mounting thread for the No. 3 Acme for Eastman Kodak as 1.946 inch diameter with a pitch of 24 T.P.I. (threads per inch) and for the "stock" No. 3 Acme, well one place it says 1.911 inch - 40 T.P.I. and another 1.915 inch - 40 T.P.I.

Just checked the mounting thread on the No. 3 Acme for my 1964 Commercial Ektar, its pitch is 24 T.P.I. its O.D. is 1.985 inches or a bit over 1/32 inch larger than the SK Grimes figure. I used dial calipers to measure the diameters and a leaf type thread gage to measure the pitch.

David

Quote Originally Posted by David Lindquist View Post
    That's what I was thinking but the SK Grimes website describes the mounting thread for the No. 3 Acme for Eastman Kodak as 1.946 inch diameter with a pitch of 24 T.P.I. (threads per inch) and for the "stock" No. 3 Acme, well one place it says 1.911 inch - 40 T.P.I. and another 1.915 inch - 40 T.P.I.

Just checked the mounting thread on the No. 3 Acme for my 1964 Commercial Ektar, its pitch is 24 T.P.I. its O.D. is 1.985 inches or a bit over 1/32 inch larger than the SK Grimes figure. I used dial calipers to measure the diameters and a leaf type thread gage to measure the pitch.

David
    Exactly. And the one on the Bay looks as if it has quite fine pitched threads...so I think I will pass on that. I may have to get a new one from Grimes. I am hoping against hope...