Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Wet Plate - A Beginner's Experience

Re: Wet Plate - A Beginner's Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I assume it's ok, but thought to ask anyway: if I don't have glass handy, but I do have acrylic, can I use that instead to excite the silver bath?
    Any drawbacks?
    Thanks
    I don't recall anyone using acrylic for this purpose, but I think its pretty safe to say that acrylic should be entirely inert and won't create problems in the silver bath for the 4-8 hours needed to "excite" the bath. But I have no personal experience making work on acrylic. Quinn has mentioned several times that he enjoys using black acrylic for making positives.

Foamer

Most tanks are made from acrylic so I doubt one more piece will cause trouble.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Noted, thanks fellas.

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    Most tanks are made from acrylic so I doubt one more piece will cause trouble.

Kent in SD
    Oh, of course! Duh! I should have made that connection lol

A few questions about chemistry and storage, if you don't mind:

1. Do you keep the silver bath in the tank when not in use? Or do you pour it into a glass bottle then in the fridge in between plate sessions? I'd definitely prefer to keep it in a bottle in the fridge when not in use.
    2. Filter the silver bath after each session?
    3. Is developer one-shot?
    4. Is fixer one-shot?
    5. Are there any chemicals NOT allowed in the fridge for longer-term storage?

Thanks!
    Again, you ARE referring to a guidebook or manual aren't you? You seem to be asking every question for every step of the process. You seem to be asking VERY basic questions that suggest you haven't done much reading yet.

Wait....you didn't set up this section of the LF forum, and these threads to avoid doing that did you?! The best method to learn is to read a guidebook that is ONE person's techniques and chemistry, and then to possibly take a workshop if you still have questions. Although many people on the internet do just ask a myriad of questions and get a free "community workshop" out of it.

Garrett,
    Not everything is spelled out in Quinn's book. I like to be sure about what I'm doing so as to develop good habits going forward.
    Yes, I set up this thread to ask questions, for others to ask similar questions, and to provide look at the WP process through the eyes of a novice.
    Is there something wrong about any of that?

Nothing wrong for you to ask. I just didn't know if you were following a book. It's like learning to fly an airplane really. You need to study first, from an expert instructor. Then you need to practice with an expert. Then you need to solo. Some people try to jump into the soloing without ever having done steps 1 and 2. It's like a student pilot at the controls, taking off, and asking questions like "is this the throttle?....what does that knob do?...should I pull back now?"

Or if learning to fly by the "ask the community" learning method, you hear "always take off into the wind....a cross wind is easier to learn from...don't go to full burner on takeoff...always go to full afterburner on takeoff..." etc.

Of course, understood.

By the way, it's been proven that a newbie can't land a plane, but a newbie (like Quinn and others) has figured out wet plate alone.

I had a local instructor lined up for last month. She's a big deal in the art world and I sold her her first 8x10 camera, so she would have been great to learn from, but she had to cancel due to the Coronavirus.
    I'm kind of forced now to go it alone, and if all goes well, I'd happily take a workshop later on, to refine what I've learned.

The big plus on the forum is having access to years of experience, and getting some home-made tips from the likes of Mark and Paul, and others, which help enormously with the big picture.
    Quinn's book (2014 edition) is excellent, I've read it front to back a dozen times during the lockdown, but some finer details are vague or missing. Or maybe they need to be updated, too.

Foamer

I'm kind of forced now to go it alone, and if all goes well, I'd happily take a workshop later on, to refine what I've learned.

The big plus on the forum is having access to years of experience, and getting some home-made tips from the likes of Mark and Paul, and others, which help enormously with the big picture.
    Quinn's book (2014 edition) is excellent, I've read it front to back a dozen times during the lockdown, but some finer details are vague or missing. Or maybe they need to be updated, too.

I live in the middle of nowhere and did fine learning on my own. You'll be OK. Honestly, this stuff isn't that hard.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Cheers, Kent.