Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Wet Plate - A Beginner's Experience

Foamer

Re: Wet Plate - A Beginner's Experience

If I didn't already have a left over dorm sized refrigerator, I would probably buy one of these miniature refrigerators for collodion/ether:

https://www.gourmia.com/item.asp?item=10252

I've seen them at Walmart.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by Stayfrosty View Post
    So I poured some plates today.

First things first, after doing some reading on here and the collodion FB groups I decided to not sensitise my silver bath.

I left my first plate in for slightly longer, 5mins. I shot some plants outside in full sun @ f6.3 for 6 seconds. WAAAAAY overexposed, no fogging though.

Decided to move indoors for more control over the process, below is the second plate. Very underexposed and also a slightly short pour, my collodion pouring vastly improved throughout the day until I found the sweet point of surface tension and was much more in control. You'll notice in this first plate (and possibly others) that there are some hesitation lines from the silver bath. I don't currently have a vertical bath, rather I'm using a horizontal dish which does the job but makes the lines if the drop in isn't smooth.

Attachment 204980

3rd and 4th plate below.

Is this a case of fogging on the below plate?

Attachment 204981

Attachment 204982

The trickiest part that I found today was pouring the developer on, I think I had the plates too angled and had most of the developer run off before I could catch it.

All in all a successfully learning day to get started with. Any advice that you might have based on the above plates will be greatly appreciated - I'll be back at it tomorrow!
    Questions for you: what developer did you use, and how long did you leave it on the plate before washing it off?

Yes, learning how to flow a plate with developer is indeed quite tricky. But you WILL figure it out. Practice is all it takes. You're off to a good start!

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    Questions for you: what developer did you use, and how long did you leave it on the plate before washing it off?

Yes, learning how to flow a plate with developer is indeed quite tricky. But you WILL figure it out. Practice is all it takes. You're off to a good start!
    Thanks for the encouragement, about 15 seconds give or take. I'm going to practice with some plates and water over the sink.
    It's premixed developer from wetplatesupplies here in the UK - WD1 positive developer.

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    You are off to a good start. For the outdoor exposure try a 1 sec. exposure if the light is about the same. Yesterday I was shooting f32 and 10s. Yes, pouring on developer is the hardest part for me. I started with an easier method and got better results. It's called the "tip tray" method. You need either a 4x5 or 5x7 sized tray. Place plate in the tray and move it firmly against one of the narrow (side) edge. The idea is to expose the bottom of the tray at the other long end. Tip the tray up at a slight angle. Pour in about 15-20 ml of developer at the lowest point of the tray, the area that doesn't contain the plate. Drop the tray down on a flat surface or even at angle so the developer will flow back over the plate. This method is much more even and easier than the in-hand method and is a good way to learn. I eventually started going to the in-hand method this year but it's taking me awhile to learn. I started using a little more developer for 4x5 than I was, say about 18ml instead of 10ml. I use a small 100ml beaker and pour from the rounded edge, not the pour spout. This broadens the flow.

Kent in SD
    Thank you Kent, I'm going to try pouring from a different vessel next time but will stick with this method for now

I tried Thermoelectric cooler warmer long ago, they really only keep cool things cool or warm, if contents have enough initial thermal mass when turned on.Meaning temp will stay cool or warm.

24 hours later while 'on' not much happens. Beer is a sad example.

I gave 2 away and will not waste any more money on those.

My Engle Fridge works very well and draws more power, but less than any other. I have one running right now in my very hot closed up trailer. This model. The beer is cold and i am going to drink one npw.

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    If I didn't already have a left over dorm sized refrigerator, I would probably buy one of these miniature refrigerators for collodion/ether:

https://www.gourmia.com/item.asp?item=10252

I've seen them at Walmart.

Kent in SD
    Tin Can

Thanks, Paul and Kent.
    I have a small fridge in the basement, it only has film in it, and there's room for chemicals if needed.
    I also have a cooler for moving about.
    Thanks again

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

On filtering the silver bath, I filter mine "as needed", when the floaties build up. I have a red LED cluster on a swinging-arm lamp fixture I point directly into the silver bath. As I raise the plate, I see if any floaties are on the surface, and if one sticks, I just quickly re-immerse the plate to wash it off and raise it again. Monitoring how many floaties there are visually, I know when I need to filter it.

For a filter, I use a 500-line screen glued into a plastic funnel with epoxy around the edge. Most people use cotton balls, but they absorb a lot of silver nitrate every time, and sometimes leave little cotton fibers in the bath. Lab filter papers run very slowly so you have to pour and pour a little at a time, and again absorb silver nitrate so you lose some each time, though not as much as with the cotton balls. Coffee filters put a lot of little paper fibers in the bath. The silver bath flows quickly through the 500-mesh screen, you lose nothing to absorption, and it filters the floaties quite effectively.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-diameter-...4AAOSw0e9UtFHK
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Also, I keep my silver in the tank, though I wouldn't on a tank larger than 11x14 or so if it had glued seams. Too much constant pressure from the larger amount of liquid over time. But you'll want a sealed cap that prevents evaporation.

If you build your own tanks, scab on extra acrylic strips over the seams to add strength and prevent leaks. My main whole-plate silver tank has had the bath in it for ten years straight, no problems:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0084s.jpg  
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Like that screen tip Mark

Thanks
    Tin Can

Gold again, Mark! Thank you

EDIT: I ordered this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I assume it's ok, but thought to ask anyway: if I don't have glass handy, but I do have acrylic, can I use that instead to excite the silver bath?
    Any drawbacks?
    Thanks