Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do I need to worry about really heavy lenses causing damage?

Do I need to worry about really heavy lenses causing damage?

I hope this is not a silly question.

I bought a Dallmeyer 8” f2.9 Pentac in a Betax #5 on a Sinar board. The lens weigh 3.4 pounds. After the CLA I shot a few sheets with an Ebony SLW 8x10 a light weight camera to test the lens and the coverage. It covers a full body environmental head to toe shot with reasonable sharpness in the center at f5.6 The lens weigh half as much as the camera and when I mounted it I feared something might give. I only used a bit of rise and fall.

Am I taking a risk using such a heavy lens on a light weight camera?

Re: Do I need to worry about really heavy lenses causing damage?

My 4x5 is a little Wista-made Zone-VI. I used to havea ;argish Wollensak 15" f/5.6 telephoto that I mounted to a Wista lens board. It would work on the little ca,era, but the front standard was wobbly. It was always an iffy exercise for me and I sold it off.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Yes - really heavy lenses can ruin you camera. Years ago I put a heavy 12" Velostigmat (in a #5 Betax shutter) lens on a old wooden 8x10. After using it for a while it broke the front standard of the camera.

Based on what I see of pix of the camera, your most likely chance of damage is ripping the track covers off the bed. Because of the WA configuration of the camera, and the possibility that you'll be using a lot of extension, that's the place where the lens is going to exert the most leverage. It probably won't happen all at once, but it could. I've put some pretty heavy lenses on old cameras that have secure glue joints (because I redid them myself!) without problems, but this kind of leverage situation didn't exist. It's all speculation until the moment it happens, but I don't think I'd do it.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Goes back to deciding on the lenses needed to meet the finished image goals before deciding on any camera.

Seems too many are driven to choose a camera then decide to or find a lens they want to use only to discover the camera they have placed top priority on as their choice is not suitable for the lens they want to use... which these days seems to be camera must be as lightweight and compact as possible.

Not only is there a risk of camera damage from using a lens that is too heavy for that camera, the set up cannot be stable complete with the risk of having the lens fall off the camera.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by gypsydog View Post
    Bernice is correct! if the lens is something you intend on using, invest in a second camera more suited to the weight.
    I use a number of very heavy lenses (I like fast glass) along with more conservative glass and keep several 8x10 cameras appropriate for the given lenses.
    You will be glad you did in the long run.
    What 8x10 camera (s) do you find best suited for your heavy lenses?
    Thanks!

IMO and this is a perpetual plug... Sinar as a system. Interchangeable like Lego to meet the needs of virtually any image goals and lenses required.

In the case of BIG lenses, Sinar P does good. Previously posted image of Sinar P with a Schneider 480mm f4.5 Xenar in barrel with a Sinar shutter. Had and used this combo for years with zero problems.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	480mm Xenar, Sinar P2.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	204880

Bernice

Rayt, Hi

Any LF lens which covers up to 10 x 8 and is faster than f3 always smacks of being on the heavier side........

Bernice's advice is always spot on, a Sinar, preferably a 10 x 8 version can 'take'/accept that sort of weight and the Sinar P series (apart from the Graflex Speed's) is probably the only 4 x 5 model that can handle, for instance, the less than light 178mm f2.5 Aero-Ektar

Any solidly built 10 x 8, say one of the Toyo's should be able to handle a weighty lens, also, say the Calumet C-1 series (correct me if I'm wrong anyone) would probably work, there's also the Kodak 2D which might be another choice

A 'Light and compact' Camera automatically means 'light and compact lenses' and with that you loose the extra 'speed stops'.............

I've found (and I'm not the only one) that you probably end up with more than one Camera in the same format to be able to accommodate the different weight(s) but YMMV

Good luck and regards

Andrew

Honestly, an 8" Pentac on a Betax shutter is not that heavy, I have used one on 5x7 Canham. Your Ebony (no swings or shifts, right?) should be easily able to carry it. If you are worried, use a piece of wood or other support between the bed and the bottom of the standard to hold it in place.

Not what you asked, but there is no way an 8" Pentac is going to cover 8x10, except at macro distances. The 8" Pentac is a 4x5 lens, and vignettes on 5x7. If you can find one (good luck!) a 12" Pentac might cover 8x10, but that lens won't even fit on your Ebony.

My 8x10 Sinar Norma can handle about anything with the proper setup. I have never used a "P" I know they have advantages, but the Norma is much stronger than the "F" but not as much to lug around as the "P"

8x10 Norma 480 Apo Ronar by Nokton48, on Flickr

The 480mm Rodenstock Apo Ronar is a boat anchor type of lens, the Norma handles it with great solidity and ease. I used this rig at the time for 4x B&W portraiture and it was and still is a delight to use (once it is properly deployed) I've also thrown it over my shoulder and hiked for what seemed like forever (I put a pillow under my shoulder). When I got to where I was going, I sure was glad this was with me

The Norma is "The Erector Set of Photography" and can be configured however you desire and need. What you build it into becomes a matter of experience with the basic camera and what you need to get it to work faster and easier for you. So you can concentrate on the image, not mechanics.

The automated cables and automated Norma lens, in this particular rig, enable the Norma with practice to operate nearly as "quick" as a reflex camera. If you are excessively slow with large format you wil lose certain types of photographs. For example, I frequently photographed Architecture in fleeting "beautiful" light which did not last long sometimes.

Here's the same thing but in 5x7

5x7 Norma 165mm F8 Norma SA by Nokton48, on Flickr
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 18-Jun-2020 at 14:50.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain