Thread: Poco View camera evaluation

Poco View camera evaluation

I'm trying to learn about this camera and determine whether it would be worth trying to use. There were several lenses in the box with it, this one is engraved 8x10 rectilinear and the negative holders are 8x10. The bellows has at least a few tears in the inside creases maybe 1/2 inch long.

The other lenses are smaller I'm not sure if they could be used with this or not. There is also a stand labelled Fullmer and Schwing Division on Kodak that looks to be the right size for the camera.

I guess my question is what do i need to look for next?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200617_211529.jpg   20200617_211151.jpg   20200617_211334.jpg   20200617_211309.jpg  

Re: Poco View camera evaluation

You may need help in learning to work this shutter. It is certainly a very useful, if not new, lens. The best way to see if the "smaller" lenses, if they are not on lens boards, make some of heavy cardboard, fit the lens in and secure with tape, then put on camera and focus them. check to see if the resulting image covers the ground glass.
    As a group, all are old, but may work well for you until you learn more about using the camera. Don't give up on anything until you know a lot more about them and 8x10 photography.
    Put the camera in a dark room with the lens board, but no lens. extend the bellows almost it's full length, hold a low wattage (so you won't burn yourself) bulb inside the bellows, block the hole in the board to prevent light escaping, and look for bellows leaks, particularly along creases and in corners.

Good luck,
    Jim
    Last edited by Jim Noel; 17-Jun-2020 at 19:09. Reason: add info

Foamer

I have a 1905 Century Camera Co. No. 40 4x5 that's similar. It's a nice little camera. On your lens the aperture scale is probably the old US system, but f16 is still f16.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

If this lens fits the same lens board could it be useable on this camera even though its labeled 6 1/2 x 8 1/2?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200617_211835.jpg   20200617_211924.jpg   20200617_211801.jpg  

A "6-1/2x8-1/2" lens? Possibly. It may give you darkened corners on 8x10 (not covering fully). It's still worth a try.
    An important logistical question; how many film holders do you have? Their dimensions were not standardized until well after your camera was made, and modern (post-1920 or so) may not fit.
    Of course you can use any modern tripod that is sturdy enough. Tripod mounting screws are generally either 1/4-20 or 3/8-16; your camera probably uses one or the other.
    Best of luck!

I havent done any large format photography before so I'm trying to learn how these work also, I do have 6 8x10 film holders that were with it and may be double sided? I'm not sure where in the camera they go to test the fit.

Well, LF photography is not *that* complex, although some people like to think that it is. But I think you need some basic instruction... look for the book by Steve Simmons (I forget the exact title) which will help you understand the basics of the procedure. There are others, the later (c.1980) Ansel Adams series will also be helpful. And perhaps others here will add titles (there are several) that have helped them.