Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Schneider-Kreuznach G-Claron 150mm f11

Re: G-Claron 150mm f/11 - Any info appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    About a year ago someone posted questions about one like that. I figured he was using it as an enlarger lens, since it was in a barrel, but he never replied back as to how it worked.

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...=1#post1490502
    Thanks,

But as you say he never replied back.

I looks like F/9 is shown on the side of the front elements for the setting of the aperture. When looking thru the lens (if this is true) is there a visible aperture change you can see?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Opheim View Post
    I looks like F/9 is shown on the side of the front elements for the setting of the aperture. When looking thru the lens (if this is true) is there a visible aperture change you can see?
    Yes, the barrel reads f9, but the engraving on the front element says 1:11. And yes, there is about a third to half stop difference, compared with the 150/9, when measured from the entrance (with a caliper).

Well, perhaps I misunderstood you.

Yes, mounted in the barrel, even att f9 on the barrel markings I can see the blades making a clear hexagon. It is never wide open. So the scale seems out of calibration.
    The barrel was probably not intended for the lens

lasse, measure the diameter of the entrance pupil with the aperture indicator at 9 and at 11. Divide the measured diameters into 150 and tell us what you got.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    lasse, measure the diameter of the entrance pupil with the aperture indicator at 9 and at 11. Divide the measured diameters into 150 and tell us what you got.
    f9 on the barrel gets me f/9.8
    f11 on the barrel gets me f/12
    f16 -> f17,8

Seems to a third stop off.

As I have a G-Claron 150mm/f9 I measured it in the same barrel:

f9 on the barrel gets me f/9.3
    f11 on the barrel gets me f/11.1
    f16 -> f16.3

The lens is defiantly not a f/11, but I don't think the barrel was originally calibrated for it

Also measured it without aperture and it came out as f/9

Quote Originally Posted by lassethomas View Post
    The lens is defiantly not a f/11, but I don't think the barrel was originally calibrated for it
    As I suggested, older lens in newer barrel.

Do or do not. There is no try.

f/11 G-Claron?

From time to time I see a 150mm f/11 G-Claron offered for sale. In every case a photo shows that the front lens cell is clearly engraved with f/11, not f/9. There's one offered on eBay right now with a serial number (11693xxx) that places its manufacture around 1971.

My Nov 1967, Sep 1976, May 1982, and Aug 1998 Schneider literature PDFs all list the 150mm as an f/9 lens. The G-Claron-WA was an f/11 lens, but it was offerered only in 210mm, 240mm, and 270mm as far as I know (I only have the May 1982 info sheet on these) and in every image I've seen it had the letters "WA" in its markings.

Does anyone know more about these f/11 150mm G-Clarons?

Re: f/11 G-Claron?

I have two Schneider brochures that list the G-Clarons -- 150mm to 355mm. All are f9-64, 6/4, flat-field APO design with 64 degree coverage for close-up work.

I see nothing about "WA" lenses. Maybe it was an early or short-lived variant. Seems less likely to be a literature error -- like with Fuji literature.

Is there something in special about this lens?

Fuji had an early 150mm W f6.3. It was slower than their other W lenses -- f5.6 -- because of the design. Maybe the same sort of thing was a limitation on the early G-Claron -- at 150mm they could only get to f11?????