Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Homemade Camera Obscura

Re: Homemade Camera Obscura

Quote Originally Posted by pound View Post
    very nice. do you use a normal mirror or do you need a front surface mirror ?
    A normal mirror works fine in in this case. I’ve noticed no difference when comparing it to say an RB Graflex and other larger SLR cameras like that which use first surface mirrors. If this were a camera and I were worried about any focus shift or mirror parallax, I’d probably aim for a first surface but for this it wasn’t necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragomeni View Post
    A normal mirror works fine in in this case. I’ve noticed no difference when comparing it to say an RB Graflex and other larger SLR cameras like that which use first surface mirrors. If this were a camera and I were worried about any focus shift or mirror parallax, I’d probably aim for a first surface but for this it wasn’t necessary.
    Thank you. Sound good. I am also working on a similar camera concept and i found a big front surface mirror would cost more even i can find one.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5A Prime using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pound View Post
    Thank you. Sound good. I am also working on a similar camera concept and i found a big front surface mirror would cost more even i can find one.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5A Prime using Tapatalk
    I've never actually been able to confirm if a second surface mirror affects or causes any degree of focus shift when used in a camera. I've heard that it can but I'm not sure about the validity of that. The main difference is that a second surface mirror reflects around 85% of light where a first surface mirror reflects nearly 100%. Also, in some applications, a second surface mirror may cause a slight ghosting of the image because of the reflection on the surface along with the reflection of the silvered portion which is actually under the surface. In my particular case with this obscura, I notice no noticeable ghosting. If you find that you do require a large first surface mirror, look around in antique stores for old mirrors to find one of the right size or one that you can cut down. They tend to be plentiful in antique stores because old mirrors were almost always first surface. In the old days they were less expensive to make and very common. Good luck!

Amazing work Fragomeni.

It would be great more pics about your process. Btw , Althought it´s very different but it reminds me Pia Linz´s boxes.