Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Linhof Technika 4x5 Timeline...

Re: Linhof Technika 4x5 Timeline...

The Pre-War Technikas are even harder to find out much info on.

Valentin Linhof was a talented inventor who came up with various shutters from 1887 and was making the Linhof all metal camera by 1910. Linhof made folding cameras from as small as 6x45 to 10x15.
    In the 20-30's Perka and Silar were also making the same cameras as Linhof in Munich. Whether partners or used for outsourcing or due to mergers is unclear to me.
    By 1930 Nikolaus Karpf was at work at Linhof inventing the articulating back and the Technika was born from this invention.

Proto-Technika / Ur-Technika 1934
    was it two cameras or one with two names... and was it a prototype only?

Standard 1936-
    without articulating back

Technika 1936-
    The first Technika that I have seen marketing material for

Technika II ???
    The Technika II is not mentioned in any literature of its period of wartime Germany but it is often referenced in later later Linhof materials

Perhaps the Ur-Technika is the "I" and the Technika is the "II" and there was not really an additional model prior to the III of 1946...

Anyway lots of holes in my Technika knowledge to fill in here. Any insights are appreciated.
    Last edited by Embdude; 16-Jun-2020 at 23:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Embdude View Post
    The Pre-War Technikas are even harder to find out much info on.

Valentin Linhof was a talented inventor who came up with various shutters from 1887 and was making the Linhof all metal camera by 1910. Linhof made folding cameras from as small as 6x45 to 10x15.
    In the 20-30's Perka and Silar were also making the same cameras as Linhof in Munich. Whether partners or used for outsourcing or due to mergers is unclear to me.
    By 1930 Nikolaus Karpf was at work at Linhof inventing the articulating back and the Technika was born from this invention.

Proto-Technika / Ur-Technika 1934
    was it two cameras or one with two names... and was it a prototype only?

Standard 1936-
    without articulating back

Technika 1936-
    The first Technika that I have seen marketing material for

Technika II ???
    The Technika II is not mentioned in any literature of its period of wartime Germany but it is often referenced in later later Linhof materials

Perhaps the Ur-Technika is the "I" and the Technika is the "II" and there was not really an additional model prior to the III of 1946...

Anyway lots of holes in my Technika knowledge to fill in here. Any insights are appreciated.
    Then buy a copy of “The Linhof Camera Story” 2nd volume, by Peter Braurenschmidt, the owner of Linhof. Every camera from the prototypes to today are shown a written about.
    The first version does not have all current models.

Also, some camera versions were country specific and those are not listed. For instance a non folding TechniKardan for the Japanese market.

Yes I have a an edition from 1990. It was not an easy book to locate. Much of what I can determine about the Pre-War cameras came from the back pages. Also the Linhof website has some cursory information as well - http://linhof.com/en/linhof-history/...BqiDlpvtVk2OUM The rest of my knowledge comes from this forum and much of that directly from you Bob! Your help with the serial number dating and countless posts patiently helping fellow Linhof aficionados is invaluable!

Technika 6x9 on a stick is one I have

No idea what it's really called

Real cute, I'll take pics of it IF you start posting pics, serial # of the others

It's in deep storage and I need to find it, IF...

I have Linhof Book 1, as Bob says, I need Book 2

My thing is big Linhof Kardan Color and have pics of those, one of mine is at the link
    Tin Can

Some Linhof nostalgia...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BA2C509F-B94E-4CD4-97BB-655184003445.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	204900

Quote Originally Posted by Embdude View Post
    Some Linhof nostalgia...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BA2C509F-B94E-4CD4-97BB-655184003445.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	204900
    Nice, but the magazines were never part of Linhof. They were published by Grosbild which was a publishing owned by Nicholas Karpf who also owned Linhof. But they were separate companies.
    After Karpf died at Photokina his widow married a banker and she owned both companies but eventually sold first Grosbild to another publisher that discontinued the English language version. We had been the US distributor for Grosbild until she sold it.
    She then sold Linhof to the present owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Technika 6x9 on a stick is one I have

No idea what it's really called

Real cute, I'll take pics of it IF you start posting pics, serial # of the others

It's in deep storage and I need to find it, IF...

I have Linhof Book 1, as Bob says, I need Book 2

My thing is big Linhof Kardan Color and have pics of those, one of mine is at the link
    You mean that you have the Linhof 220, the one with the old Rollei pistol grip built-in?

If so, it was one of the first 67 cameras, not 69.
    Last edited by Bob Salomon; 18-Jun-2020 at 18:53.

Karpf died during the 1980 Photokina? Wow. According to Linhof's website- After Valentin Linhof's death, the daughter Clara Linhof takes over the company. Nikolaus Karpf marries Clara's daughter and joins the company in 1933.

No mention of the current owner Peter Bauernschmid on the Linhof website but he is listed as Managment on the German Linhof wikipedia site

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Nice, but the magazines were never part of Linhof. They were published by Grosbild which was a publishing owned by Nicholas Karpf who also owned Linhof. But they were separate companies.
    After Karpf died at Photokina his widow married a banker and she owned both companies but eventually sold first Grosbild to another publisher that discontinued the English language version. We had been the US distributor for Grosbild until she sold it.
    She then sold Linhof to the present owner.
    It is quite a fine magazine! and I believe the books are from Karpf through Grosbild (translated to Large Picture in English) as well. Bob did you attend the Photokinas' and hob-knob with Karpf and his team? As the US distributor I imagine you must have been the biggest market for Linhof.