Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Storing Ansco 130

Re: Storing Ansco 130

I keep the stock solution in brown glass bottles, Filled to the top, and keep out of light. It will last a long time. My last batch i mixed up lasted 6 years, with no ill side affects. But make sure you keep out of light. It will start to crystalize if you dont.

I use 130 for all of my developing needs. 1-1 for paper and 1-10 for film.

Ansco 130 seems to store just fine. I have one year old stock solutions that I can pull from when needed and they seem to work well. I usually mix 1:1 with water for a working solution and I usually discard that working solution after about a month.

The only time this regimen doesn't seem to hold up for me is with Harman Direct Positive paper. In that case I usually use the freshest working solution I can and then I don't try to develop more that 5 sheets of the Harman DP paper. Otherwise the blacks go brown on me and I loose the contrast. If there is a way around this I would love to know because it is a bit of a pain.

With normal enlargements on Ilford paper or Arista EDU papers (about all I normally use) I generally just keep using the working solution until 30 days or so have gone by. I don't leave it in a tray though. I usually pour it back in the bottle for re-use.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

Drew Wiley

In full sealed amber glass bottles, the concentrate does keep reasonably well for at least a few months, but once it's diluted for use and in the tray, that certainly doesn't hold true any longer. I dilute it 1:3 for use. It takes only a few minutes to mix the six ingredients. I don't understand why someone would want to hoard it in solution. And I still can't imagine keeping any used developer on hand for days on end. That might have been the custom in high school and in rental labs; but it's no way to get optimal results. Premium papers are expensive enough; why compromise results? ... But Elko? (diverting the subject) ... I'd sure like to get up Seitz Canyon - I've seen those stunning pinnacles from the backside; but the canyon entrance appears to be blocked by private property.

Guys -- I appreciate your comments. I'd not leave it in an open tray anyway, but would bottle it up. I can't remember a time I had two consecutive days to print so this is pretty theoretical for me. Yes, Glycin is pricey. I found working with the fly-away Metol more difficult on my scale.